The parents of an 8-year-old girl who suffered for months from severe headaches and epileptic seizures were relieved and shocked when doctors gave them her diagnosis: 100 tapeworm eggs were in her brain.
Doctors at the Fortis Hospital in New Delhi, India, told India Today, the larvae traveled through their bloodstream to the girl's brain and caused a massive swelling. When she was admitted to hospital, the young girl who was not identified was almost unconscious.
"Your brain scan showed more than 100 white spots formed by tapeworm eggs," Dr. Praveen Gupta, director of neurology at Fortis Hospital, told the newspaper. "When eggs reach the brain through the nervous system, they cause neurocysticercosis, which is characterized by severe headaches, epileptic seizures, and confusion."
WOMAN COMBATING "ELECTRIC STRIKE" IN HER LEGS HAS TAPEFORM IN SPINE [19659005Bandworminfectionistypicallycontaminatedbytheingestionofnutrientsorwatercausedbytheparasite
"If you take certain tapeworm eggs, they may migrate outside of your intestines and form larval cysts in body tissues and organs." the Mayo Clinic. However, when you pick up tapeworm larvae, they develop into adult tapeworms in your gut. "
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the most likely culprit in this case was the Taenia solium, also known as a" pork tapeworm, "as the infection is typically caused by eating raw or uncooked meat.
"Infection with T. solium tapeworms can lead to human cysticercosis, which can be a very serious disease that can cause seizures and muscle or eye damage. "The CDC declares.
NHL BROCHURE HORRIFIED TO FIND 2-foot TAPEWORM INSIDE IT DURING THE SEASON
Gupta said she was first on reducing the girl's brain swelling
"Their treatment began with the reduction of their swelling with decongestants and later steroids and gradually the cysts (tapeworm eggs) were treated by starting an albendazole antihelmonic therapy under observation. Later, the steroids and antihelminthic therapy were discontinued, "Gupta said, adding that the treatment seemed to be a success.
The Girl's Parents Told India Today, they were surprised how quickly her daughter's health returned and revealed, that she was already back to school
"We had absolutely no idea that our healthy and happy daughter could ever have such a terrible illness. But I think we are very happy to have arrived here and get the right treatment, "said the girl's father to the newspaper.