Handout / U.S. Navy over Getty Images
The Department of Defense announced that it would send another 1,000 US troops to the Middle East as tensions with Iran "for defense purposes" increased.
Acting US Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan announced Monday that the action was targeted for air, sea and ground threats following "a request from the US Central Command (CENTCOM) for additional forces".
The Trump administration blamed Iran for a series of attacks on oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman.
"Recent Iranian attacks confirm the reliable, credible message we received from Iranian forces and their deputies about hostile behavior that threatens US personnel and interests across the region," Shanahan said of the employed personnel. Officials told NPR that the troops are primarily intelligence services, reconnaissance and surveillance (ISR); Protection of the armed forces and engineers.
The announcement is the latest in a series of additional military deployments in the Gulf region as the US continues to accuse Iran of its attacks on merchant shipping and threats to US troops and interests. The stakes began last month when the US dispatched an aircraft carrier strike group, along with Patriot rocket batteries and several thousand troops whose mission is defensive by nature, to the region.
"The US does not seek a conflict with Iran," Shanahan said. "We will take action today to ensure the safety and well-being of our military personnel throughout the region and protect our national interests, and we will continue to monitor the situation diligently and, if necessary, adapt the forces to provide intelligence and credible threats Report." "
The Trump administration has been trying to convince some of its US allies, notably Germany and Japan, that Iran is responsible for the alleged attacks on the Gulf oil tankers." The Pentagon has released new photos to its On Monday, Iran threatened to exceed the uranium reserve limits established in the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Action Plan, an international agreement designed to mitigate the country's nuclear ambitions in exchange for easing sanctions.
President Trump withdrew the US from this business and now Iranians are hoping to pressure European countries to circumvent US sanctions, according to the Washington Post
spokeswoman for the US Foreign Ministry Morgan Ortagu's Iranian announcement "blackmail" and accused Iranian The Iranian leadership is a "challenger
In criticizing the Iranians, however, the Trump administration is in the uncomfortable position of insisting that the Iranians comply with an international agreement that the President has already condemned.