Photo of Adobe Stock Kylei Parker had a cut on her toe as she went swimming on a family outing to the beach in Destin. Then she almost killed a carnivorous bacterium.
Fox 59 Indianapolis reported the incident late Wednesday. Parker was reported to have felt pressure in her leg as she and her family left the beach to return to their home in Indiana. Then her leg swelled and her body went into a septic shock. At that time, the physicians discovered that Parker had acquired a rare infection called vibrio vulnificus a high-risk, soft-tissue infection that causes necrotic fasciitis, according to the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health can.
"We can treat many of the infections in the intensive care unit only with antibiotics and supportive care, but there are certain infections, such as necrotizing fasciitis, that do not give you much time to treat, it does not give you much time to think," Kamal said Abulebda, a paediatrics specialist at Riley Children's Hospital, told Fox 59. "You must be very quick and urgent, as you realize … before it becomes irreversible."
Fortunately, Parker survived and avoided the Amputation of her leg.
A statement to Destin Log by the Florida Department of Health has stated that there are "no public health concerns" in Walton or Okaloosa County after Parker's mother posted a Facebook post on Monday the incident had released viral.
A Destin spokeswoman told the log that the city has not yet received a call from the family, making it difficult to identify a specific location where Parker may have acquired the infection. Confirmed cases of vibrio vulnificus in the Sunshine State have risen in recent years, according to the Florida Department of Health.
In May, Orlando nature author Bob Morris reported that he almost lost his leg thanks to Vibrio after scraping it off an oyster bed. In 2008, there were 1
Follow @cl_tampabay on Twitter for the latest news + views. Subscribe to our newsletter.