(CBS) – A 12-year-old Indiana girl vacationing with his family in Florida became ill with rare carnivorous bacteria whose recovery will take months. CBS subsidiary WKRG-TV reported that the Brown family went to a beach in Destin earlier this month when Kylei was severely ill.
After arriving in Florida after a few stormy days, they had the opportunity to visit the beach on June 9, warning them and others that it was still dangerous to walk in – and allowed only people, according to WKRG TV, go in knee-deep. The family, including Kylei, went into the water and had fun.
Her mother, Michelle Brown, told WKRG-TV that she had pain in her right calf the following day, assuming it was just a charley horse. However, the pain continued to increase and prevented her from walking.
"At that point, I had to lay her on my back and carry her around," Brown said.
When they returned to Indianapolis, they returned to a doctor and told Michelle to take her daughter to an emergency room. When the girl did an MRI, Brown noticed that an infection "spread pretty quickly and ran through her body."
According to WKRG-TV, doctors diagnosed infection between Kyle's knees and diagnosed her with necrotizing fasciitis, a rare carnivorous disease.
Brown said Kylei was at home now, but was still facing more surgeries, treatments, and physiotherapy to get her walking again. Brown is all about her daughter living.
In a Facebook post alerting other parents, Brown said Kylei had contracted the disease after scraping her toes while visiting Pompano Beach, Florida.
"We are not feeling any better, but we are on the path to recovery," she said. "I wanted to share her story in the hope that she could help someone else save her."