قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / 2-year-old dies after signing E. Coli at the San Diego County Fair

2-year-old dies after signing E. Coli at the San Diego County Fair



A child died after becoming infected with E. coli at the San Diego County Fair, health officials confirmed.

San Diego Health and Human Services confirmed that it was a hospitalized 2-year-old boy and died on June 24 of a complication of the disease.

Three other children aged 2 to 13 also contracted E. coli. These children were not hospitalized.

Officials said the children had fallen ill after attending the San Diego Mass on June 8-15.

The source of E. coli bacteria is being studied, but all the children had visited the animal areas, petting zoo or other animal contacts at the San Diego County Fair.

Officials have blocked public access to all animal areas, including the petting zoo.

Tim Fennell, CEO of the San Diego County Fair, said his heart was broken for the news.

"We are devastated by this news, but we move forward and take all precautions, the fair will continue until July 4," said Fennell.

The County DEH has also re-inspected the food facilities were visited by the children and found no connection to the cases, officials said.

Health officials say that most people with STEC infection feel sick for 3 to 4 days after eating or drinking, which contains the bacteria. However, diseases can occur 1 to 10 days after exposure. The symptoms vary from person to person and often include:

  • Severe abdominal cramps,
  • Watery or bloody diarrhea (3 or more loose stools within 24 hours) and
  • vomiting.

Symptoms can occur with or without a fever. Most people get better within 5 to 7 days. Some infections are very mild, others serious or even life-threatening.

Officials urge the public to consult their doctor if they notice any of these symptoms on or after June 8.

No additional information available

Please refresh this page to receive updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.


Source link