Serena Williams made her long-awaited return to Grand Slam tennis on Tuesday, winning in the first round at the French Open in a crisp first-round play against top scorer Kristyna Pliskova
Most recently, she played in a slam at the Australian Open 2017, when she won the title in the eighth week of pregnancy. After giving birth to a daughter in September, Serena returned to tennis this spring and played four (understandably) sloppy matches before putting her comeback on hold to get "100 percent ready".
On Tuesday it appeared at least she had successfully achieved her goal.
When Serena goes for her first slam as a mother, FTW looks back 23 incredible stats from the 23-time main winner.
2. In this decade, Serena has 12 Grand Slam victories. No other woman has more than two.
. 3 Serena went 18 years between her first Grand Slam title (1999 US Open) and her last, for the time being (2017 Australian Open). Three women previously held the record with a 12-year gap. (Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova, and Steffi Graf.) Serena's nineties, ninths, and tens of successes make her the first player ever to win a Major in three decades.
4. She is the only player in Grand Slam history to have won three majors six or more times. She is also the only player to win two tournaments seven times or more.
. 5 Serena is a stunning 23-6 in Grand Slam final, the best win percentage (.793) of any woman who has won more than three majors. From 2008-15 she won 13 of 14 slam finals.
. 6 In a span of 20 majors from 2003-2008, Serena had only two major victories. In a range of 20 majors from 2012 to 2017, she held the trophy at 10.
7. Serena has four Olympic gold medals – one in singles (2012) and three in doubles. Venus is the only other tennis player with four gold medals.
. 8 One of the most notable statistics for each athlete: There were 24 other women ranked # 1 in the 43-year history of the WTA ranking. Serena has defeated 20 of them. The only four she did not beat were those who retired before her career: Martina Navratilova, Chris Evert, Tracy Austin and Evonne Goolagong
9. Serena has a total score of 166-62 against first place players. Only Arantxa Sanchez Vicario has a win record among these 20 players. She who won four out of seven games, all played when Serena was a teenager. Serena has won 80% of her matches against eight No. 1 players.
10th While we're at it, Serena has a 54-7 record against players who finished in 2nd place.
11. Interesting (at least for me) is Serena "only" 16-12 against players who were at the time of Game # 1. Against players who were rated higher than they (Serena) at the time of the game, Serena is a sturdier 125-46
12. In these ten years Serena plays with 210-13 (.942) against players who are outside the top-20. It is not much worse against women in the top 20, since then there is a 125-22 (.850) at the beginning of 2010.
13. Only 10 women have a winning streak against Serena, most of whom defeated her in a game early in her career and never faced her again. There are only two players who have played Serena on several occasions and have set a victory record: Sanchez Vicario and, you might think, Sybille Bammer, a contemporary in 19th position in the WTA standings and 2-0 against Serena. 19659002] 14. In 2009, Serena fell four straight games. She would not lose nine consecutive games, a series that finally ended in Miami this spring.
15th Serena became the number 13 WTA money list in 2017 despite having played only two tournaments before she went to maternity
16. Although they have played sporadically, the Williams sisters have at best won 14 doubles majors, most of the players of their time. Their prey has only reached 33 majors, which means that the tandem has won 42% of its launches. They are also a perfect 14: 0 in the Grand Slam final (the best you'd expect) and 23: 1 in each double tournament final.
17. The WTA (and its predecessor) has been around since 1970, but Serena is only two degrees off the players when it was founded. She defeated Steffi Graf, who defeated Chris Evert, who defeated Billie Jean King, Rosie Casals, and pretty much everyone from consequence of the early days of professional women's tennis.
18th Of the 127 other women in the French Open draw, only 22 have fewer casualties than Serena Williams. This is hard to understand, so bear with me: Serena became a pro in 1995, played more games than anyone else in the draw, except for her sister and Svetlana Kuznetsova, and still has only 132 defeats.
That's a sum of you would find on a player in their early twenties, not one who will be 37 this summer. To put it in context: Madison Keys, 23, is a top-10 player, Grand Slam finalist and arguably the most accomplished of the players with fewer losses than Serena. Your career record is 230-131 (one less loss, 653 fewer gains). Considering Serena's contemporaries, that's just as amazing: Venus has exactly the same number of career victories with 95 more defeats. Kuznetsova, two-time main champion, has 154 fewer wins and 179 more losses.
19th Only 68 players have ever won a match against Serena and only 23 have defeated them several times. Venus defeated Serena the most, with 12 victories (against 17 losses).
20th Serena's favorite destination: Maria Sharapova. Since a 17-year-old Sharapova stunned the tennis world with a defeat of Serena in the 2004 Wimbledon final, Serena has won 19 of her last 20 games, including an active series of 18 straight wins.
21. If Serena loses the first set of a game, she's almost as likely to win the game as she is to lose it. She is 90-92 in her career when she dropped the first set.
22nd If a game exceeds the distance, Serena wins more than 70% of the time and hands out a 150-59 record in three setters.
23rd Serena is the oldest woman ever to win a Grand Slam (she broke her own record last year) and is # 1. The 10 majors she has won since her 30th birthday are seven more than any other woman in the history.