A Minnesota campground appears to be behind an apparent outbreak of parasitic water disease, public health officials said.
Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) officials confirmed last week that three people were tested positive for Cryptosporidiosis after visiting Shades of Sherwood Camping in Zumbrota. (One person was also tested positive for E. coli.) In an update released on Friday, MDH officials stated that they identified 72 people with symptoms consistent with Cryptosporidiosis or E. coli, although most of these diseases did not  Cryptosporidiosis is usually contracted after the ingestion of Cryptosporidium contaminated water, a parasite that often ends up in recreational waters, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Symptoms such as watery diarrhea, stomach cramps, nausea, fever, and vomiting typically last one to two weeks, although the disease can have serious or fatal consequences for those with compromised immune systems, the CDC says.
Shades of Sherwood temporarily shut down and hyperchlorinated its swimming pool to rid it of possible Cryptosporidium contamination, and closed its artificial swimming pond indefinitely, as it is more difficult to chemically treat, according to MDH. Signs were placed on the campsite to warn visitors not to swim if they recently had diarrhea.
Shades of Sherwood representatives did not respond immediately to TIME's request for comment.
"We can not say with certainty what the original source of contamination may have been, but we have evidence that sick people are swimming in the various water structures of the facility, shedding the pathogens and over time bring back into the facial features, "said Kris Ehresmann, head of the Infectious Diseases Department at Infektios, in a statement.
According to CDC reports, Cryptosporidium is responsible for a significant number of disease outbreaks in the United States. According to the CDC, between 2000 and 201