The Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have confirmed that nearly 100 people became infected with Norovirus after swimming in a lake on Woods Pond Beach – or another who had done so.
found that up to now 97 people who were exposed to the lake directly or indirectly in Bridgton were affected by the gastrointestinal disease, the Portland Press Herald reported.
MORE THAN 500 CASE ILL AFTER VISITING THE TENNESSEE ZIP LINE ATTRACTION
"It's very contagious, it seems there's a human element there, that someone had it and was on the beach," said Bob Peabody, Bridgtons city manager.
"I think the message is, if you're sick or your kids are sick, do not go to the beach," he added.
The beach had already closed on 6 July after some people became ill with celiac symptoms but reopened on 10 July.
Tests performed then agreed to table heights of E. coli in the lake but not in water from two sinks. The sinks have since been removed and replaced with hand sanitizer.
WOMAN HAS BEEN INHIBITED AFTER INFECTION FROM RASED CUT
The symptoms of Norovirus include vomiting, diarrhea, fever, and convulsions. It can be spread by eating soiled food, touching a contaminated surface, or having contact with someone who is infected.
Officials said that those who dipped their heads or swallowed water while swimming on Woods Pond Beach were the highest risk many fell ill while looking after someone who was sick after swimming at the lake.