Home / Health / A dozen new COVID deaths have been announced in San Diego

A dozen new COVID deaths have been announced in San Diego



Two women, ages 23 and 100, are among the dozen COVID-19 deaths that were announced in San Diego on Tuesday.

News from public health officials increased the total number of deaths from a novel coronavirus infection from 19 to 31.

Although every life on the list represents an equal loss to the community, the two women, whose lives were more than 75 years apart, clearly illustrate the current reality: this disease affects the oldest hardest, but men and women in their twenties have fear a lot.

This virus, which has now killed two people in San Diego County̵

7;s twenties, can force even young and strong people to pay the final price.

But this big one-day increase in deaths was sobering, but only part of the COVID story that happened on Tuesday. The county also reported the lowest number of new positive cases in the region since February 28, reaching 1,454, just 50 more than Monday’s total.

So the news was mixed.

Fewer new cases, but a large increase in deaths. And not all of these deaths occurred on Monday. County records show these losses were from Friday, April 3 through Monday, with seven, which were highest in a single day, falling on Sunday.

The public said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the district health officer, should not consider deaths as an indicator of the current state of the pandemic. Most die after fighting in hospitals, and these personal battles can last for days or weeks.

“The increase in the number of deaths should not be a cause for concern as the number of deaths generally lags behind the number of positive cases reported,” said Wooten.

However, the drop in new cases could be more meaningful. Epidemiologists closely monitor how quickly confirmed cases serve as a key measure of the effectiveness of public health campaigns.

Studies have previously shown that the novel corona virus, which spreads to communities with low social distance, doubles approximately every three days. However, it took approximately seven days for the total number of cases reported on March 30th at 734 to reach Tuesday’s total number of 1,454.

District officials have recently said that the doubling rate recently fluctuated by five days, and the lower number of cases reported on Tuesday was not a reason for any kind of celebration.

Part of this may be that the numbers that the county shares with the public every day are the dates on which the test results were reported to the Health Department by local laboratories, and not the dates on which people actually showed symptoms. A small number on Tuesday could mean that the district has not yet been informed of recent cases.

There is also evidence that new potential COVID cases continue to emerge at a significant pace. Dr. Eric McDonald, the county’s epidemiology director, said his department initiated 82 new investigations into possible cases in the community on Tuesday alone.

When asked whether the general course of the pandemic in San Diego County is gradually leveling off, Wooten said no.

“Given the fact that we see new cases every day, I don’t think we’re going to flatten out,” said Wooten. “We should see a peak and then a decline or a steady baseline for maintaining the number of cases. We are still in the climb phase. “

Cruise liners that stopped in San Diego after handing over passengers continued to generate patient flow on Tuesday. McDonald confirmed that Disney Wonder, which dated March 19 and is scheduled to remain in town until April 19, sent two crew members to hospitals on Tuesday.

Generosity continued to be spoken of throughout the region. As of Sunday, Singing Hills Golf Resort in Sycuan will offer healthcare workers at the Sharp Grossmont Hospital in La Mesa a 24-room block at a cost of $ 25 a night. The respiratory therapy program at Grossmont College was also intensified and donated 18 mechanical ventilators to Sharp Grossmont and Kaiser Permanente San Diego.

The San Diego Foundation also announced on Tuesday the activities of the COVID-19 Community Response Fund in San Diego. The fund was created to help families meet critical needs, from rent to living expenses. A total of $ 6.8 million has been raised since the Foundation was last updated, with $ 550,000 in grants. Since then, $ 1.7 million has been made available created last month.

The last grants went to five local nonprofit groups:

  • $ 200,000 for that Jacobs & Cushman San Diego food bank Food security for students in the San Diego Unified School District who do not have access to daily meals while the campus is closed. The fund previously granted the food bank $ 500,000.
  • $ 125,000 for the Neighborhood house association Food security for seniors and Head Start children who are looked after at the club’s locations in underserved communities.
  • $ 100,000 for The Salvation Army Assistance in providing rental, utilities and transportation services to economically vulnerable residents in North County.
  • $ 100,000 for that San Diego Catholic Charities Support for food aid for low-income families and individuals.
  • $ 25,000 for the Jacobs Center for Neighborhood Innovation – An additional $ 25,000 from the Jacobs Family Foundation – to help nonprofits in southeast San Diego that are receiving increased demand for their services.

To donate to the fund or apply for a grant, Visit the San Diego Foundation website, sdfoundation.org. One hundred percent of donations are redirected to nonprofit organizations and funds are released on an ongoing basis.
Reporters Alex Riggins and Karen Pearlman contributed to this report.




Source link