قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / A mother was diagnosed with a deadly rodent virus, the family says. She died months later.

A mother was diagnosed with a deadly rodent virus, the family says. She died months later.

Kiley Lane, left, with her husband Kevin. (Courtesy of Julie Barron.)

Nobody seemed to know what was going on with Kiley Lane.

The 27-year-old woman and mother suffered from severe pain and swelling in the abdomen for weeks, and told the doctors she felt she had a safety belt pulled over her abdomen

Lane of Aztec, a small town in New Mexico, not far from the Four Corners, repeatedly went to a nearby emergency room

A doctor suggested that it might be a flu. It was considered a blockade. Another wondered if she was pretending, her mother said.

In February, Lane was tested positive for hantavirus, a rare rodent-borne virus that can spread to humans, causing a dangerous and sometimes fatal respiratory disease called Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Lane was flown to the University of Albuquerque New Mexico Hospital, where she was treated for hantavirus and other illnesses.

"We had every hope of hope that it would come through – even to the last minute," said Lane's mother, Julie Barron, on Friday the Washington Post. But Barron said her daughter had died on April 18 [196599] Barron said the circumstances of her daughter's illness remained murky. The local hospital doctors first discovered she had hantavirus, and then the doctors at the New Mexico University Hospital confirmed the diagnosis, she said. But, she said, when the CDC ran a test a month later, she found she had no active virus.

Since January 2017, 728 cases of hantavirus infections have been reported across 36 countries across the country. The highest figures reported by the CDC in New Mexico and Colorado.

As Lena Sun of the Post reported:

Severe respiratory disease is known as hantavirus pulmonary syndrome or HPS. In the United States, most of these cases are spread by deer mice that live in forest areas and deserts and occur throughout North America. People get the disease by inhaling hantavirus when dust from dried urine, saliva, and rodent feces is whirled up in the air, which can happen in homes, garages, and cabins, especially during cleaning. People can also get it by touching mouse urine, excrement or nesting material containing the virus and then touching their eyes, nose or mouth.

HPS is not transmitted from person to person. There is no specific treatment, cure or vaccine for the infection. However, if infected individuals are detected early and undergo medical treatment in an ICU where oxygen therapy can be given, they may have better chances of recovery.

The condition is premature due to flu-like symptoms such as fatigue, fever and body aches, but also headaches, nausea and vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, according to the CDC

Tione Buranda, an associate professor in the Department of Pathology at the University of New Mexico, the Post said that there is no cure for the disease and the death rate is 30 to 40 percent.

Kiley Lane with her daughter, now 2nd (Courtesy of Julie Barron)

It's unclear how Lane might have gotten the disease Mother said she was a "constant cleanser" and might be having urine or feces the mouse has come into contact. She had also done house-sitting and traveled the holidays, her mother added.

Barron said they could never ask her what could have happened, "because she was so sick when we found out what she had."

It was January when Lane became ill for the first time.

Lane, who came out of the emergency room several times, was getting worse and worse. Then, when she began to experience respiratory distress, her husband Kevin took her back to the hospital.

"She just thought that maybe she had a flu – a really bad flu," Barron said. "I knew it was not the flu, and I could tell by the swelling that something else was going on."

She said her daughter was "getting worse every day."

On February 3, doctors diagnosed Lane Hantavirus and two days later she was taken to Albuquerque.

Barron said the doctor told her daughter that she probably would not survive the flight. But she did it. And when she arrived at the University of New Mexico Hospital, she was put on an ECMO machine (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) to filter and keep her blood alive.

But despite all the efforts of the doctors, her health continued

Barron said that the doctors treated her daughter overall with shingles (a viral infection), pneumonia, acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), Clostridium difficile (a bacterial infection), kidney failure Sepsis and Shock Treated [19659028] "It was a roller coaster – up and down, up and down," she said.

In the end, doctors told her family that they had exhausted all possible treatment options.

Barron said she had asked her daughter's doctor, "What made my daughter sick? What brought us here?"

The mother said the doctor replied, "The hantavirus."

For 66 Days said Barron, family members and friends feared the worst, while hoping for the best.

Kevin tried to tell her 2-year-old daughter that her mother was ill. The young child was brought to her mother so she could hold her hand and say goodbye.

In a Facebook post last week, Barron described her daughter's heartbreaking moment.

"There were seconds … watching these damn monitors … I'm waiting, and then she was gone, no angels, no miracles, just a room and my little girl … and gone," she wrote.

She said she has never seen anyone die, and watching her daughter's last breath did not feel right. [19659037] "I'm not mad or scared … just confused," she added. What a crap! I hear voices, feel hugs … but … all crap! That's real, I look at Kevin and I think how can I help him? How can he know .. I look around … that was her last opinion I'm so mad at myself … then people are slowly walking away and I'm there Why is that my job? I think of all the times when I picked her up … yes … my job I leaned forward, "call when you're there?"

"Nobody knows what to say … but it never stops them. I'll turn it off … did we lose? Well, we did not win … I'm tired … can not talk, say nothing and time to look ahead.

Barron said she is now sharing her daughter's story because she wants to raise some awareness about the hantavirus and the lack of much-needed medical technology and treatment in rural health systems.

"There is no reason for a 27 "She said that she does not want those who prayed and gathered around her daughter to consider it a loss."

"Something good will come of it," she said.

Everyone is affecting the world, and I think Kiley will be a bigger wave than they are. "

Their memorial service will be in Cedar Crest, NM on Saturday [19659041] Read more:

Why so lovable the mouse is to blame for the spread of Lyme disease

Why surgeons amputated a 7-year-old leg and misapplied it [1965904SlasovermysteryAfour-year-oldOneyearlatersavedthelifeofhisowndaughter

Source link