Officials warn that children and pets should stay out of waters in two New York parks after being tested for the same kind of poisonous algae that killed several dogs across the country this summer.
Water testing in some areas of Central Park, Manhattan, and Prospect Park in Brooklyn confirmed the presence of a bacterium that can produce toxins, according to the New York Department of the Environment (DEC).
Toxic algae have appeared in the Turtle Pond in Central Park and Prospect Park Lake, where the latest tests from the beginning of this month showed dangerously high toxin levels according to DEC.
TOXIC ALGAE KILLING 3 HOURS OF HOURS AFTER THEIR GAME IN NORTH CAROLINA POND, OWNER SAYS
Initial lab results from the sample taken on 1
evidence also indicated that the lake could be affected in Central Park.
In North Carolina, three dogs died in a Wilmington pond earlier this month and were exposed to toxic algae. Their owner announced on Facebook that after swimming, the dogs suffered a "blue-green poisoning" and that the algae killed the pets within a few hours.
Dogs also reportedly died in Austin, Texas, and Marietta, Ga., After bathing in algae-filled waters. Austin has warned pet owners not to let their pets swim because of algal blooms in Lady Bird Lake.
WARNING TOXIC ALGAE THAT CAN KILL YOUR DOG
The poisonous algae also occurred in several instances, according to WCBS this summer in the Lakes of New Jersey.
Officials warn that the poisonous algae could infest even children.
"When you enjoy freshwater games in city parks, it is important to avoid contact with algae and pets, keep leashes and do not allow them to enter or drink from lakes and ponds except in areas specifically for such activities "said a spokeswoman for NYC Parks in a statement sent to Fox News.
"Many factors affect algal blooms, including high nutrients, stagnant water, high temperatures, and low oxygen levels," she continued.
According to the official website of the New York Department of Parks and Recreation, flowers that produce blue-green algae (BGA), also known as cyanobacteria, could be toxic.
The ministry warned of a BGA bloom occurs when water looks like pea soup or green, blue or red color – or when blue or green foam floats on water surfaces or accumulates along the coast.
BGA can cause skin and eye irritation through contact. Asthma-like symptoms of water inhalation and gastrointestinal and neurological symptoms of swallowing, experts said.
CLICK HERE TO OBTAIN THE FOX NEWS APP Wash yourself with clear water and see a doctor if symptoms of skin, eye or throat irritation occur. allergic reactions or breathing difficulties; According to experts, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, headache or fever.
James Rogers of Fox News, Madeline Farber, has contributed to this report.