Receive breaking news and special reports. The news and stories that mattered delivered the day of the week in the morning.
/ Source: Reuters
Congo's Ebola epidemic is now over The health ministry said 1,000 cases were reported Monday, with 629 fatalities among the world's second worst Outbreak of the world occurred.
Health workers were better prepared for this latest epidemic of hemorrhagic fever, which leads to severe vomiting, diarrhea, and severe vomiting and kills more than half of the infected. New technologies such as a vaccine, experimental treatments, and futuristic, cube-shaped mobile units for the treatment of patients have helped curb the spread of the virus.
But public mistrust and growing insecurity in parts of the Eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo where Ebola has struck have hindered the response and made it more difficult to fight against it.
Five Ebola Centers have been attacked since last month, sometimes by armed assailants. The violence prompted the French medical charity Medecins Sans Frontieres to cease its activities at the epicenter of the outbreak last month.
It is believed that this is the second deadliest in history, having killed more than 11,000 people in West Africa after 2013-16.
"There are now a total of 1,009 cases," the ministry said in a statement, adding, "The response of the Ministry of Health in collaboration with its partners has limited geographical boundaries."
Last Wednesday, the authorities confirmed a case of Ebola in Bunia, another city with almost 1 million inhabitants.