PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – Given the surge in coronavirus cases, Allegheny County took quick measures last week to shut down personal and restaurant and bar seating. As a potential lifeline for these companies, they are now loosening some restrictions.
Allegheny County Health Department has issued a new two-week order that removes some restrictions, such as: B. Allowing food and beverages outdoors. The order also limits meetings to no more than 25 people inside and 50 outside.
This new arrangement repeals the other two recently issued orders – one prohibits on-site alcohol consumption and the other closes bars and restaurants except take away. It will enter into force on Friday at 00:01
CLICK HERE: READ THE FULL ORDER
Indoor areas must be close to through traffic and customers sitting outside the bar can be served when they are seated.
Customers are limited to three drinks and outdoor seating is allowed until 11:00 p.m. You can then continue to take away.
WATCH: Pam Surano from KDKA reports live
“Outdoor dining is not that dangerous,” said Rich Fitzgerald, executive of Allegheny County.
The county health department says that it is mainly younger vacationers returning from hotspot beaches that spread the virus in crowded bars. The county will look into the impact on case numbers after two weeks and review the guidelines.
“We are trying to strategically stop activities that spread the virus and allow activities that appear safe,” says Fitzgerald.
After being closed last week, Joe Tambellini throws out food and is now preparing to reopen. Although he may soon be able to serve people at his six tables outside, his 24 tables indoors must remain closed to the public.
“I call this takeout on steroids,” he says. “You can serve a few people outside. It is not enough to survive. “
Tambellini says that restaurants like his cannot do without indoor dining. And while giving the county the honor of trying, he says restaurants need more help.
Waiting for everyone. Ordering the Co. Health Dept. for outdoor meals and alcoholic beverages. Owner Joe Tambellini says it wouldn’t be enough to save restaurants. Live reports will follow. @KDKA pic.twitter.com/i0dUTKFnYz
– Andy Sheehan (@AndySheehankdka), July 8, 2020
“We are at the end of the rope. That’s it. We won’t find out quickly and it will be annihilation, ”he says.
The owner of Walters Southern Kitchen says they would have gone backwards if it hadn’t been for Wednesday’s order.
“We’re trying to save our lives and feed our families here, and it’s only a very difficult time,” said owner Joel Bolden.
The county health ministry says they need to protect community health and safety. Bolden agrees, but says they are essential to the community too.
The Rivers Casino can be reopened on Friday, but no alcohol can be served. Masks must also be worn.
More information on the coronavirus pandemic: