قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Almost three-quarters of men with short-lived prostate cancer are not properly monitored

Almost three-quarters of men with short-lived prostate cancer are not properly monitored



Published

May 28, 2018 04:46:26

It is well known that many prostate cancers are growing slowly, but specialists have warned that men with low risk cancer can not handle the doctor's office together.

Key points:

  • Three out of four men with low-risk prostate cancer do not receive adequate follow-up
  • Experts say some of these men develop aggressive cancer
  • A public awareness campaign is needed

Monash research The university has found that nearly three-quarters of men with small or slow-growing prostate cancer are not properly monitored or treated by their physicians.

The study published in the Medical Journal of Australia examined more than 1

,600 men six years diagnosed with prostate cancer that needed only an "active monitoring" program to monitor whether the cancer became more aggressive.

It found out only 433 were duly monitored using the minimum requirement of a follow-up bi opsy and three PSA (prostate-specific antigen) blood tests within two years

The therapy is referred to as "active monitoring" and will Men who are diagnosed with a small or slow-growing prostate cancer to avoid invasive surgery

Co-author Associate Professor Declan Murphy is Urologist and Director of Genital Oncology at the Peter MacCallum Cancer Center in Melbourne.

He said monitoring allowed doctors to reserve serious treatments just for most aggressive cancers.

"When many of us hear the word cancer, there is immediate concern about the risk of it spreading," he said.

"In prostate cancer, many are so slow-growing – in fact, quite a number are growing so slowly that it is justified to lead them with surveillance."

"The main reason to spare male treatment for prostate cancer is because of the good -recognized side effects.

"Men are still expected to experience urinary problems, perhaps short term with urinary frequency, but also with particular difficulty in sexual activity."

Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men

He About 70 percent of men said active surveillance would not require further treatment, but for the other 30 percent, cancer would become more aggressive.

For this reason, Associate Professor Murphy said the researchers had been surprised that few men had adequate levels of surveillance

"We men are guilty of not taking care of ourselves," he said.

"We may overlook these changes in these cancers, which could lead to a change in advice."

He said that an awareness-raising campaign is needed for patients and doctors.

"If you accept great news, I do not need treatment for my cancer", then you must also Be aware that you need some sort of monitoring, "he said.

"The physician must be aware that a minimum level of monitoring is required to ensure that our patients are safe [and] but without knowing them."

Prostate cancer is the most commonly diagnosed cancer in men in Australia and the third leading cause of cancer death.

One in six men is over the age of 85, but most commonly in men over 65.

Symptoms include frequent urination especially at night, pain and a faint current when urinating or pain in the back or pelvis.

A more prevalent disease often spreads to the bones and gives pain or unexplained weight loss and fatigue.

It is diagnosed by a blood test that measures a substance called prostate-specific antigen.

High PSA levels indicate a problem with the prostate, including cancer.

Topics:

Health,

prostate cancer,

Diseases and disorders,

Australia


Source link