Late last year, American Express has updated the popular Premier Rewards Gold Card and has purchased some significant improvements. But they have not stopped here because in recent days they have announced further improvements to the map that will make them even better.
In this post, I wanted to review the American Express® Gold Card ] a reward card for those who want to earn as many Membership Rewards points as possible.
Let's take a look at the details of the card:
Amex Gold Card Welcome Bonus
The Amex Gold Card offers a Welcome Bonus of 35,000 Membership Rewards Points spent $ 2,000 in three months
I personally estimate Membership Rewards points at 1
Note that while this is the best publicly available welcome bonus, sometimes better offers are available through recommendations from existing cardmembers.
Redeeming Membership Rewards Points for ANA First Class Travel
Amex Gold Card Authorization
The welcome bonus on this card is not available to people who have the card or in the past over the Premier Rewards Gold Card.
if you had this card or the Premier Rewards Gold Card before you are eligible for the card, but you are just not eligible for the Welcome Bonus. Under certain circumstances, it may still be worthwhile purchasing the card in such situations if you continue to benefit from it.
The Amex Gold Card is a charge card
Also note that the Amex Gold Card is a charge card . What is the difference between a credit card and a debit card?
- The basic distinction is that you can use a credit card to pay for a longer period of time, while you have to pay off your balance on a monthly basis with a charge card. Credit cards do not have a credit limit, charge cards
. However, there is one more important difference if you are considering applying for this card:
- You can usually have a maximum of five American Express credit cards at a time  You can normally use 90 American Express cards for a maximum of two credit cards received a permit.
American Express credit cards are not subject to this restriction. This means you can qualify for the Amex Gold Card, even if you already have five American Express cards and have already applied for two American Express cards in the last 90 days.
Amex Gold Card Annual Fee
The Amex Gold Card has an annual fee of 250 USD (prices and charges) and is not enacted for the first year. Although this is a high annual fee, the card offers annual loans worth up to $ 220 and some valuable premiums for spending in certain categories.
Amex Gold Card Reward Categories
What makes the Amex Gold? The card is so valuable that it offers bonus categories. The Amex Gold Card offers the following bonus categories:
- 4x Membership Rewards Points in Restaurants Worldwide
- 4x Membership Rewards Points in US Supermarkets on annual purchases of up to $ 25,000
- 3x Membership Rewards Points on flights booked directly with airlines or through amextravel.com.
This is an excellent return. According to my estimates, this corresponds to a return of 6.8% in restaurants worldwide and in US supermarkets.
This card even surpasses the 3-fold points offered by the Chase Sapphire Reserve® for restaurants – this is a
Let's take a closer look at how these bonus categories are defined.
Amex Gold Card 4x Points in Restaurants
When the Amex Gold Card was introduced, it was only offered 4x points in restaurants in the US, but this has been extended to restaurants worldwide. The number of bonus points you can earn is unlimited.
In general, restaurants are quite wide and include everything from fast food to cafes and upscale restaurants.
Just keep in mind that convenience stores, nightclubs and restaurants Companies located in other establishments are usually not qualified for bonus points.
In addition, the entitlement to bonus points is set based on categorization by the merchant. So there is a possibility that some traders are sometimes not properly categorized.
The Amex Gold Card is great for shopping in restaurants.
Amex Gold Card 4x points in supermarkets.
The Amex Gold Card offers 4x points for the first $ 25,000 spent in US supermarkets each calendar year. Exceptions are supermarkets and storage associations. So do not expect to be able to collect these bonus points at Sam's Club, for example.
Amex Gold Card 3x Points on Flights
The Amex Gold Card offers 3x points on flights without limit how many bonus points you can earn. This only applies if you book directly with an airline or via amextravel.com. In addition, charter flights and private jet flights are excluded.
Official booking through online travel agents (except amextravel.com) will not earn you bonus points. In practice, however, it can sometimes happen that 3x points are credited. This is because online travel agencies often charge airfare directly when booking flights.
Triple Points on Amex Gold Card Flights
Amex Gold Card Annual Balances
One of the things that contribute to offsetting the Amex Gold Card , is that the card offers up to $ 220 in annual credits – including up to $ 100 in airline fees and up to $ 120 in restaurants.
Amex Gold Card $ 100 Airline Charge Credit
The first benefit is that the Amex Gold Card offers a $ 100 Airline Charge Credit per calendar year . This is very similar to the credit offered on the Amex Platinum Card, it is only half as high.
Please note the following basic terms:
- Purchases from both the primary card member and authorized users are allowed. You are limited to one credit, regardless of how many legitimate users you have.
- You can use the balance for a single purchase or for multiple purchases. It will continue to apply until you reach the $ 100 limit.
- Card member has selection of airline to apply for credit
- Credit may apply to purchases made on most major US airlines, including American, Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Southwest, Spirit and United  If you have already selected an airline, you can change it once a year in January. If you do not change it, the same carrier will remain selected.
- The conditions state that the credit should be booked within 2 to 4 weeks, although in my experience it is booked much faster.
So, what kind of purchases are eligible? According to the terms and conditions, here are the purchases that may or may not be eligible for the credits:
Amex Gold Card 120 USD Food Credit
The second advantage is that the Amex Gold Card offers a food credit of up to 120 USD per year . This will give registered members credit of up to $ 10 per month when paying with their card at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed and participating Shake Shack locations.
The $ 120 balance is a bit more complicated:
- This credit is valid for purchases at Grubhub, Seamless, The Cheesecake Factory, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Boxed and participating Shake Shack locations.
- Purchases by both the primary card member and authorized users are allowed You can only receive one credit regardless of the number of authorized users.
- The credit will be in the form of a monthly credit of $ 10, up to a total of $ 120 per year.
- Shake-shack locations in stadiums, stadiums, airports and racetracks are ineligible.
- The terms state that this does not apply to gift card or merchandise purchases. However, it is unclear whether this will be enforced.
- Only purchases in the Unite d states qualify
- The conditions state that the credit should be booked within 2-4 weeks, although in my experience it is booked much faster than the
Get up to $ 120 a year with the Amex Gold Dining Credit
My Opinion on the Amex Gold Card
The Amex Gold Card is a spectacular card for anyone looking for a lot of money Spending food (whether in restaurants or supermarkets) and looking for Membership Rewards Points.
For a long time, the Chase Sapphire Reserve® was the undisputed champion when it came to food, but this card is now (in the meantime) even more rewarding for food. The Citi Prestige also offers 5x points for restaurants.
This card could be a fantastic complement to some other Amex cards that earn Membership Rewards points, including:
Although the annual fee of $ 250 is high, most people can hopefully recover most of it Fee with annual credits of up to 220 USD. If you're someone who can maximize it, this is essentially a card that costs you $ 30 a year "out of pocket" and offers many great ways to earn points.
Amex Gold Card is already an improved version of the former Premier Rewards Gold Card, but in addition, Amex continues to improve this card. The card now offers 4x Membership Rewards points for restaurants around the world and, as an option, the "Boxed" option has been added for a monthly credit of $ 10.
If you own the Amex Gold Card, what is your experience with it?  Use the links below for rates and fees for these American Express cards. These include: American Express® Gold Card (fees and charges).
Regarding Comments: The comments on this page have not been provided, reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any Advertiser, and it is not the responsibility of the Advertiser to ensure that submissions and / or questions are answered.