BREAK … SEN. ORRIN HATCH (R-UTAH) Tweets: "BREAKING: Senator Hatch has secured the release of Utahn Josh Holt from Venezuela. #UTPOL" http://bit.ly/2LvRNkh
The PRESIDENT (@ realDonaldTrump) at 9:22 am: "Good news on the release of the American hostage from Venezuela Should land in DC tonight and be in the White House with his family at 7:00 am The great people of Utah will be very much be happy! "
Story continued below
– AP's Catherine Lucey and Joshua Goodman: " Holt had gone to Venezuela in June 2016 to marry a woman he had seen online for Spanish-speaking Mormons who could help him improve his Spanish, he was arrested on suspicion of arms-seeking. "Http://bit.ly/2KXBeMS
The PRESIDENT at 9:22 pm (@realDonaldTrump): "Good news about the release of the American Icelandic hostage from Venezuela. Should be in D.C. land and be at the White House with his family at around 7:00. The great people of Utah will be very happy!
NEWS … HOUSEHOLD WHIP STEVE SCALISE (R-LA.) will be with us to compose his first live DC event since filming June 1
– SCALISE yesterday sent a letter to members of the House with the subject line: "Join me on World Blood Donor Day."  – The Letter: "Last year, after the attack on the Congress baseball team, you and your staff got together to donate more than 300 units of blood. In honor of all the heroes who have saved the lives of my teammates, the coaching staff and myself, I would like to thank you first and tell you that I join the Inova blood transfusion service for a blood donation on the One Year Anniversary, Thursday, June 14th 2018. Without blood donations like these, I would not be here today, so please think about giving something. Where: Rayburn Foyer When: 10:00 – 14:30, Thursday, June 14, 2018. "
Good Saturday morning. ALSO ON THE PRESIDENT MIND … at 9:59 am: "Put pressure on the Democrats to end the terrible law that separates children from their parents once they have crossed the US border. Catch and release, lottery and chain must also go along and we MUST continue the WALL! DEMOCRATS PROTECT MS-13 THUGS. "
– FLASHBACK by Ted Hesson on May 7:" The Trump administration will divide families at the southwestern border more frequently under a new one
"The Homeland Security Authority will revert to" 100 percent of illegal border crossings Southwest & # 39; s forward to the Justice Department to prosecute for a federal law banning illegal entry, Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Monday. https: //politi.co/2KW6tb2 (h / t Seung Min Kim)  THE NY DAILY NEWS went with "SLIME's UP" for their Harvey Tartar headline http : //bit.ly/2LxPoFK … The NY POST went with "TIME & UP UP, JACKASS" http://bit.ly/2ksOmOK
FRONT PAGE STORIES FROM THE FIELDS OF AMERICA …
– CHARLOTTE OBSERVER: "GOP Idea: Teach Teachers with Police Donations Training" http://bit.ly/2s9yF3g … The story http://bit.ly/2xly3MS
– THE POST AND COURIER (Charleston): "Cane Bay's paintings go to the White House: DREAMERS from Berkeley County honored by [Mark] Sanford in the National High School Competition ": http://bit.ly/2INtjoS
– AUSTIN AMERICAN-STATESMAN: " School safety plan costs will be the key: governor expects spending to be smart, strategic; or unfunded Legislative mandates fear "http://bit.ly/2LwPhdA … The story https://atxne.ws/2IPk2sp
– MIAMI HERALD: " Smoking ban for medical purposes pot is unconstitutional, Judge says "http://bit.ly/2xch288 … The story https://hrld.us/LucA7E
– ATLANTA JOURNAL CONSTITUTION: " Broadening divide over Weapons policy characterizes Georgia's race after first " The story http://bit.ly/2IKppwZ
– BOSTON GLOBE: http://bit.ly/2IQZxzG "Mass. Still blocked on telephone ban for drivers: proposal has the support of governor, but opponents worry about racial profiling "http://bit.ly/2Lucw7U … The story http: // bit .ly / 2Jbb9g3  HMM … "Invitations Offer Wealthy Chinese Approach to President Trump at Fundraising" by WaPos Michelle Ye Hee Lee, Anu Narayanswamy, Emily Rauhala, and Simon Denyer: "The letter that was published last week Dozens of wealthy entrepreneurs were distributed in China, officially looked. Armed with the insignia of a genuine Republican committee collecting money for the party and the re-election campaign of President Trump, there was allegedly a handshake and a one-shot photo of the president for $ 100,000 – a "VVIP trip" in memory of a lifetime , "The invitation, which the Republican Party spokesmen said had nothing to do with it, was not the only such offer." At least two other China-based companies announced similar offers in the past week Trump at an official fundraiser in Dallas on May 31 and two or three times higher ticket price. In a Washington Post interview, a Beijing man who claims to be an organizer of the Dallas excursion, co-ordinated an earlier US trip and made members of the Chinese business elite take selfies and photos for a magnificent Manhattan Donate campaign by Trump in December. …
"The solicitations, when offering a legitimate service, raise questions on whether participants indirectly pay for their tickets through a US donor, which would be illegal." Https://wapo.st/2saV2Fz
ON THE KOREAN PENINSULA …
– AP'S KIM TONG-HYUNG in SEOUL: "North and South Korean leaders Hold the Surprise 2nd Summit ": " North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and South Korean President Moon Jae-in met for the second time in a month on Saturday and held a surprise summit in a border village to discuss Kim's possible meeting with President Kim and Moon met a few hours after South Korea had commented on the revived talks for a summit between Trump and Kim after Trump had canceled the much-anticipated meeting within 24 hours before saying it again is possible. …
"Moon, which mediated the summit between Washington and Pyongyang probably used the meeting on Saturday to confirm Kim's willingness to nuclear negotiations with Trump clarify what steps Kim is taking in the denuclearization process. South Korean President Yoon Young-chan's spokesman said Moon will announce details of his meeting with Kim on Sunday. "Http://bit.ly/2sjxmye
-" To hopefully keep the summit alive, Kim Jong-un suggests a deal, " by NYT Choe Sang-hun in Seoul:" Since Kim Jong-un Seven years ago, when he assumed power as the young, unchecked ruler of North Korea, he promised his country a future without privations. In his first speech as leader, he promised that North Koreans, millions of whom starved to death during a famine in the 1990s, would never have to tighten their belts again. Last year, he apologized to the nation for failing to live up to that promise and expressed how "anxious and penitent" it was. Then, this year, he announced a new turnaround to the 25 million people in North Korea: Now that the nation has a nuclear arsenal, after years of international sanctions, it could change its course and build a thriving economy.
"So, as President Trump on Thursday abruptly canceled their eagerly awaited summit meeting on June 12, the North Korean reaction was remarkably diplomatic and cordial, hoping that the meeting could take place after all, it was a strong one Remember, analysts said that Mr. Kim does not just want a diplomatic deal with the United States, maybe he needs one. "Https://nyti.ms/2IPyCjr
****** A message from the UnitedHealth Group: Working to reduce the cost of medication out of pocket. In the face of the urgent need to control high drug prices, UnitedHealth Group is focusing on solutions such as: B. POS discounts – to make the cost of medicines more affordable to millions of people. Learn more. ******
THE INVESTIGATIONS …
– WSJ BYRON TAU and REBECCA BALLHAUS: "The election campaign analysis of Israeli intelligence falls under Mueller review ": " Special Adviser Robert Mueller's investigators have received a presentation prepared by an Israeli private intelligence firm describing how Donald Trump's 2016 election was supported by fake news and fake social media accounts with the presentation and documents, reviewed by the Wall Street Journal Mr. Müller's interest in the presentation suggests that his research focuses on the role of social media manipulation during the 2016 campaign … The presentation consists of nine slides and has been produced by the Psy-Group, a company that is proud of its ties to Israeli elite intelligence agencies. "Https://on.wsj.com/2IKpWyJ … The presentation https://on.wsj.com/2GR04f7
– AP'S JONATHAN LEMIRE and ERIC TUCKER: "Giuliani : The White House wants to provide information on classified information ": " The Legal Department of President Donald Trump would like to be informed of the secret information given to lawmakers about the origins of the FBI investigation into Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election, and submit them to the Department of Justice
"Rudy Giuliani, one of Trump's lawyers, told the Associated Press on Friday that the White House hopes to read the information next week, especially on the use of a longtime Government informants who turned to members of Trump campaign in a possible bid to glean intelligence on Russian efforts to influence the election. …
"If espionage was inappropriate, it means that we could have a completely illegitimate investigation," Giuliani said of Special Adviser Robert Mueller. … "Along with Comey's illegally leaked memos, this means that the whole thing was a mistake and should never have happened," said Giuliani. "We urged the Ministry of Justice to re-evaluate it and admit that they made a mistake. It's a waste of $ 20 million in taxpayers money. The whole thing is a waste of money. "" Http://bit.ly/2IPyTTv
EMPTY THE SWAMP! "Lewandowski advises T-Mobile on the Sprint merger" by Theo Meyer and Margaret Harding McGill: Corey "Lewandowski advises T-Mobile on Turnberry Solutions, a lobbying firm run by two veterans of President Donald's campaign last year What Lewandowski did before he got fired was T-Mobile, who stopped Turnberry last year, but Lewandowski has denied any connection to the company in the past … But T-Mobile said on Friday that Lewandowski is the company T-Mobile has paid Turnberry $ 100,000 in lobby fees, according to disclosure filings. "https://politi.co/2KX5SWG … The Work Scope document https: // politi .co / 2IT0TFG
DEALMAKING UPDATE … "The Trump Government Issues Capitol Hill a Deal to Save the Chinese ZTE Company" by Adam Behsudi and Doug Palmer: "Tue The Trump administration has reached an agreement that will replace Chinese telecom giant ZTE back in the economy by rolling back heavy sanctions imposed by the Department of Commerce last month, a source familiar with the matter said.
"The decision to settle with the Chinese company removes a major obstacle for US China In the trade talks, Beijing rejected a sentence that would have blocked the company by banning US suppliers for seven years Doing business with ZTE.
"It also comes a week before Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross is scheduled to travel to Beijing to continue negotiations on a ceasefire between the two countries. Commerce has officials on Capitol Hill about a deal ZTE will be paying a larger fine to hire American compliance officers and replace the company's current management team, the source said. "https://politi.co/2IOcndG
THE ADMINISTRATION -" Trump is targeting federal bureaucracy with new executive orders rolling back to public service protection. " by Lisa Rein of WaPo:" President Trump retired on Friday to reverse civil servant protection for a generation, making it easier to dismiss poor artists and cut working hours for union work and leadership agencies to negotiate tougher union contracts. In three executive orders signed by the President before the holiday weekend, Trump took his first major steps to fulfill a pledge he had made to overhaul a federal bureaucracy, telling executive voters in "Waste, Fraud, and Abuse" executive orders – those of the next president could be reversed – could have more dramatic effects. "https://wapo.st/2J8jjWA
MIAMI HERALD'S ALEX HARRIS, DAVID SMILEY and MARTIN VASSOLO: "Publix Stops Political Contributions to Parkland Students' Protest": "The prospect of a public relations crisis – boycott threats and" jammed "protests – over its donations Hopefully the Republican governor Adam Putnam, said Publix on Friday, it has stopped all political contributions of the companies.
"The Supermarket Giant made the announcement moments before a 'die-in' protest planned by David Hogg, a vocal parkland school shooting survivor and weapons control activist, despite the news, Hogg and dozens Protesters stretched out on the floor of a Coral Springs Publix for 12 minutes with sunflowers and signs reading "No NRA Money."
"Hogg and other students began their influential movement for gun control in the wake of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High school shooting that left 17 dead and 17 injured. They have particularly targeted the National Rifle Association and were upset over the news of Putnam's unparalleled support for the grocer, who once boasted he was a "proud NRA sell-out". "Https://hrld.us/2kul2aK  ROGER STONE responds to the WSJ story" Roger Stone has information about Clinton from Assange, Emails Show "(https://on.wsj.com/2scw3AQ) we wrote in Playbook yesterday – he sends us an e-mail: "The e-mails referred to did not fall within the precise scope of the House Intelligence Committee's request – I was under no obligation to turn them over, and the content merely confirms my claim that I use a return channel and never communicate directly with WikiLeaks or Assange.
"It is not inappropriate with my request to determine if Wikileaks had material on the assassination of Gaddafi, after I had received a credible report that the dictator had reached an agreement to leave the state department but the WSJ story is fully in line with my affidavit to the House Intelligence Committee, and the September request is a legitimate journalistic inquiry. "
CLICKER -" The nation's cartoonists a week in politics " edited by Matt Wuerker – – 11 orderlies https://politi.co/2LwDOuy
****** A message from UnitedHealth Group: While the basic problems with The affordability of prescription drugs are the high prices that the UnitedHealth Group strives to do its part to prescribe the cost of prescribing making drugs more affordable, predictable and stable for Americans. Measures included our initiative to reduce drug costs for millions of people through direct point-of-sale drug savings and the use of advanced technology to provide real-time drug cost transparency directly to the physician's office. And more will come. Learn more. ******
LARGE WEEKEND READINGS, Curated by Daniel Lippman, Submission from Asheville, NC:
– "Blood Will Tell: Is Joe Bryan a? innocent man who was illegally imprisoned for bad forensic science in the past 30 years? "by Pamela Colloff in NY Times Magazine and ProPublica:" When Mickey Bryan, a fourth grade teacher, was murdered one night in 1985, she was small Texas neighbors were shocked, and when her husband Joe, the beloved director of high school, was accused of murder, they were astonished, could he possibly have, wondered, or was there a terrible mistake? "Https: // nyti.ms/2LpYvbr
— "Hunting the Pearl of Lao Tzu" by Michael LaPointe in The Atlantic's June issue: "A Tale of Ancient Philosophers, Alien Abductions, Murder Against Pay – and how the biggest pearl of the World became the centerpiece of an 80-year-old fraud. " Https://theatln.tc/2Iv2ohs
– "This Armada of Saildrones Could Conquer the Ocean," by Ashlee Vance in Bloomberg: "Engineer and adventurer Richard Jenkins has built seawalk robots, fishing, drilling, and environmental science His goal: a thousand of them. "https://bloom.bg/2LuJy7X
–" The Language of the Roman Empire " by Katherine McDonald in History Today:" Latin was used throughout the Roman Empire but it shared the space with a host of other languages and dialects, including Greek, Oscan and Etruscan, which give us a unique perspective on the ancient world. "http://bit.ly/2KBGVjf
–" Vanity Foul " by Soraya Roberts in The Baffler:" [O] A hundred years after the puff pastry has appeared in our consciousness, it is being pushed aside by a new kind of celebrity profile that is set in a newly engaged cult r was developed. … instead of meaning nothing, it means everything. The power piece positions itself as a celebrity profile as activism, and sometimes even succeeds. Http://bit.ly/2KV7Fvl (h / t Longreads.com)
– "The Wave", by Melissa del Bosque of Texas Observer: "Like Texas's decades-long South Texas border security operation one of the most controlled and supervised places in the nation. "http://bit.ly/2GQAXIZ (w / t Longform .org)
-" Welcome to the Automated Warehouse of the Future " by James Vincent in the Verge: "How the British Supermarket Uses Ocado Robots to Speed Online Shopping." http: // bit .ly / 2ILP5oU
– "The Roots of Muslim Wrath" by Bernard Lewis at September 1, 1990 in The Atlantic: "Why so many Muslims are deeply opposed to the West and why their bitterness is not easy is appeased. "https://theatln.tc/sc8Hvi
-" Deadly Chinese Fentanyl Creates a New Age of Drug Kings " by Bloomberg's Esm E. Deprez, Li Hui, and Ken Wills:" The potency of opioid has global trade – and the monitoring – of drugs changed. "Https://bloom.bg/2xfZGqI
–" What happened in Vegas " by Amanda Fortini in California Sunday:" The days, weeks and months after the the worst mass shooting in modern American history. "http://bit.ly/2xk5qjw
–" John McCain, Prisoner of War: A First-Person Account, " by John McCain in the US News in May 1973: "I looked at my knee. It was about the size, shape and color of a football. I remembered that a man as a flight instructor had evaded his plane and broken his thigh. He was in shock, the blood had accumulated in his leg, and he died, which was quite a surprise to us – a man who died of a broken leg. Then I realized that a very similar thing happened to me. "Http://bit.ly/2GQETcT (h / t TheBrowser.com)
-" The Amazing Psychology of Japanese Railway Stations " by Allan Richarz in the City Lab:" The nationwide railroad traffic was dominated by Supported some subtle behavioral tricks. "Http://bit.ly/2GPzW41[19659083#SPOTTED: Allison Janney last night at the Le Diplomate [19659002BIRTHDAYS: Stephanie Sherman, Jake, Corey and Kate's mother and Ryder's nanny .. Devon Spurgeon … Gwen Rocco, communication at WeWork and HFA alum … Steven Stiles and Clayton Getchell from Politico … Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) Is 74 … former Rep. Rich Nugent (R -Fla.) Is 67 … former Sen. Kay Hagan (DN.C.) is 65 … British Labor Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn is 69th. Andrew Beilein … Jonny Roof (h / t Jon Haber) … Bloomberg's Derek Wallbank … Joe Baerlein, Owner and Director at Baerlein Partners … Scott Cri … Dina Ellis Rochkind … Monica Aluv … Margo Te rcek, a staff member of Sen. Michael Bennet, is 27 … Ryan Graham … Andrew Ciafardini … Joe Cupka … Morgan Jacobs … Arjun Jaikumar, Wilmer Hale employee … Mike Harney, COS for Senator Tim Kaine (D-Va.) …
… Pete Madigan, of Peck Madigan Jones, is 59 … Ben Cavataro, associate in Covington and Burling … Rachel VerVelde, Chief of Staff for Rep Glenn Grothman (R-WI) … Mia Shaw … Matt Keelen … Laura Baños … Charlene slip of paper … Margaret Shanley … Alex Likowski … Emily Langer … Hana Veselka Vizcarra. .. Sabrina Correa … April Ansbach … Nelson Patterson … Yardena Schwartz … Jediah Grobstein … John Brodtke … Shahid Masood … Allison Davis … Sunny Lee … Terry Baren. .. Bill Roberts .. Alyssa McClenning … Stoddart Pierce … Jennifer Vinson … Carnegie's Endowment is 107 … Sally Whouley … Kevin Bailey … Angelic Crests (h / t's Teresa Vilmain)
THE SHOWS, by @MattMackowiak, filing vo n Austin: [1 9659002] – CNN's "State of the Union": Rudy Giuliani … James Clapper. Panel: Patti Solis Doyle, Rick Santorum, Nina Turner and Bill Kristol (replacement host: CNN Dana Bash)
– NBC "Meet the Press": Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) … Victor Cha … Steven Brill. Panel: Matthew Continetti, Andrea Mitchell, Eugene Robinson and Amy Walter
– ABC's "This Week": Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) … Deputy Adam Schiff (D-Calif.) .. Michael Hayden. Panel: Kristen Soltis Anderson, Steve Inskeep, Mary Jordan and Wesley Lowery
– CBS "Face the Nation": Senator Marco Rubio (R-Fla.) … James Clapper … Ben Tracy … North Korea panel with Sue Mi Terry and Jean Lee. Panel: Susan Glasser, Ramesh Ponnuru, Mark Landler and Paula Reid
– "Fox News Sunday": Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) … Senator Chris Coons (D-Del.). Panel: Bret Baier, Jerry Seib, Jonah Goldberg and Adrienne Elrod (replacement host: Bill Hemmer)
– CNN's "Inside Politics" with John King: Panel: Phil Mattingly, Jackie Kucinich, Toluse Olorunnipa and Anne Gearan  – Fox News & # 39; Sunday Morning Futures : Rep. Lee Zeldin (RN.Y.) … Former US lawyer Bud Cummins … Gordon Chang. Panel: Ed Rollins and Jessica Tarlov
– Fox News & # 39; "MediaBuzz": Sara Fischer … Adrienne Elrod … Mollie Hemingway … Kat Timpf … Bret Baier … John Carreyou
– CNN "Fareed Zakaria GPS": Tom Donilon … Tony Blair
– CNN's "Reliable Sources": Panel: Carl Bernstein, Joan Walsh and Daniel Dale … Rep. Dan Kildee (D-Mich.) And Rebecca Liver … Jim Rutenberg … Charlie LeDuff … Donte Stallworth
– Univision's "Al Punto": Vicente Fox … Rep. Adriano Espaillat (DN .Y.) … Nicaraguan student and activist Lesther Aleman … former Colombian President Andres Pastrana … Musician Paulina Rubio
– C-SPAN: "The Communicators": FCC Commissioner Brendan Carr (R ), interviewed by Howard Buskirk … "Newsmakers": Senate Majority PAC President JB Poersch, interviewed by Alexi McCammond and Dave Weigel … "Q & A": Author Pa Tricia O & # 3 9; Toole ("The Moralist: Woodrow Wilson and the World He Made")
– MSNBC's "Kasie DC": Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) … Representative Eric Swalwell (D -Calif.) … Donna Edwards … Rick Tyler … Evelyn Farkas … Sopan Deb … Jeff Mason … Seung Min Kim … Geoff Bennett … Rebecca Buckwalter-Poza … Filmmaker Terry Kunhardt … Congressman Abigail Spanberger (D-Va.)
– Washington Times "Mack on Politics" Weekly Politics podcast with Matt Mackowiak (Download on iTunes, Google Play or Stitcher or listen to MackOnPolitics. com): Michael Hayden
****** A Message from the UnitedHealth Group: While the fundamental problems with the affordability of prescription drugs are the high prices and marketing practices of pharmaceutical manufacturers, The UnitedHealth Group is eager to do its part to reduce the cost of prescription drugs Make medicines more affordable, predictable and stable for Americans. Measures included our initiative to reduce drug costs for millions of people through direct point-of-sale drug savings and the use of advanced technology to provide real-time drug cost transparency directly to the physician's office. And more will come. Learn more. ******
SUBSCRIPTION to the Playbook Family: POLITICO Playbook http://politi.co/2lQswbh … Playbook Power Briefing http: //politi.co/2xuOiqh … New York School Book http://politi.co/1ON8bqW … Florida Playbook http: // politi. co / 1OypFe9 … New Jersey Textbook http://politi.co/1HLKltF … Massachusetts Playbook http://politi.co/1Nhtq5v … Illinois Playbook http://politi.co/1N7u5sb … California Playbook http://politi.co/2bLvcPl … London Playbook http: // politi .co / 2xfDPuK … Brussels Playbook http://politi.co/1FZeLcw … All our Political and Political Tips http://politi.co/1M75UbX  This article tagged under: