قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / An Alabama man went nearly 20 miles to his new job. When his boss found out, he gave him a car.

An Alabama man went nearly 20 miles to his new job. When his boss found out, he gave him a car.

Walter Carr sent his friends a flood of increasingly pleading text messages. The college student's car had collapsed, and he should begin his new job as a mover the next morning in a house 32 miles from his apartment near Birmingham, Ala.

He stretched out the find A ride, but he did not want to miss his first day at a moving company called Bellhops. Carr, 20, needed the work. He twisted his predicament and decided that there was only one option: he would do it.

"I sat and thought, 'How can I get my job, what streets would I go to, how long would it take me to get there?' 'He said in an interview with The Post. He searched the route from his home in Homewood to the house in Pelham, and Google Maps would take eight hours to walk in. As a former high school cross country runner, he knew he could do it in less. [1

9659005] Carr ate a Bologna and egg meal at 8 pm and took a nap, woke up at midnight, grabbed his wallet, cell phone and a baseball and kitchen knife to protect him from stray dogs Darkness.

"I've always been the person who found out things myself," Carr said. "I went for a walk."

A few hours later, he came across a dog and threw the ball, the dog ran after him and Carr went in the other direction. [19659008] On the trek, Carr had set the route in his head. He jogged a few. He went a lot. As his legs began to burn, he remained focused on his target.

"I was just thinking about how to get there in the timeframe I needed," Carr said.

He & # 39; He had jobs as a cook in fast food restaurants in the past, but that paid better, and he needed the money for an apartment he had recently rented.

At 2 o'clock in the morning he passed the city of Hoover. At 4am he reached Pelham, but he still had hours left to go to the house. He was about to enter the highway ramp, the most direct route to the job. He sat down in a parking lot of a bank.

"I decided I would rest for a minute because my legs killed me"

A police car stopped and the officer, who from the news site AL.com as Mark Knight, asked if Carr was okay , Carr said yes and explained what he was doing.

"I said," That's crazy, but I'm just going to work. It's my first day at work, "Carr recalled.

The officer asked him the last time he had eaten, and Carr told him about Bologna and the eggs. Knight offered to get something more in his stomach.

"I said," I've just paid my rent. I do not have any money with me, "Carr recalls

Knighden told him to get in the car, the food was on him, they went to Whataburger with some other officers, and Carr ordered a chicken biscuit He ordered another one from the officers, he said.

Knighten drove Carr a few miles towards his work and dropped him into a church, saying that it was a safe place, Knighten had to go because of a shift change, but he said Another officer would drop by Carr in a couple of hours and maybe drive to work with him.

But after Carr came to church, he became worried he could not make it on time, and left at around 5:30

Carr went on a two-lane road, and in fact, a police officer came and said that he had heard of him.This officer, identified by AL.com as Scott Duffey, Carr drove the last vi he miles to his job.

At 6:30, Duffey went to the house where Carr was supposed to meet the other movers for the job and told homeowner Jenny Lamey what had happened.

"The officer told me," I have this nice kid in my car. He's a great kid, he's been out all night to come to your house, "Lamey said. "Then the tears started to come in. I was just starting to cry."

Carr came to the door and Lamey offered him a bed for a nap and something to eat.

Carr replied, "No, I'd rather start," said Lamey

The other two makers of BellHop appeared shortly thereafter, and the three took the Lameys through the city to their new home. Everyone got along like old friends, Carr and Lamey said.

Following the move, Carr played basketball with Lamey's sons aged 16, 13, and 11.

Lamey said she had no idea how he made the energy for it.

"I can not imagine what kept him going," Lamey said. "What came physically to him was supernatural, I think God helped him."

Lamey said this was just the beginning of what she hopes is a long friendship between Carr and her family.

"He is such a humble, kind-hearted person," she said. "He's really incredible, he said that's how he grew up, nothing is impossible, unless you say it's impossible."

One of Carr's new employees gave him a ride home.

The next day, Lamey called Carr's superiors and the two cried together on the phone about what Carr had done. Lamey posted the story on Facebook and it worked. She launched a GoFundMe with a target of $ 2,000. On Wednesday morning, it had raised more than $ 35,000.

On Sunday, Carr's boss, Bellhops general manager Luke Märklin, called him to thank him. Marklin said he wanted to meet him in person to show his appreciation. They agreed to meet in a café near Carr's apartment on Monday. Carr went there for 20 minutes.

When they met, Märklin gave him his own car, a 2014 Ford Escape. He said he was in better hands with Carr than with him.

"We put a really high pole for heart and bead and … you just blew it away," Marklin said.

Carr has gotten a lot of attention in the last few days for his nearly 20-mile hike. He said it was surprising, but he felt good about sharing it.

"The lesson in my story is to reach people, I always wanted to inspire people," he said. "Do not let anyone tell you that you can do nothing, it's up to us if we can."


This teacher on a plane talked about her low-income students. The passengers listened and gave her more than $ 500 in cash.

A storm ruined this beach wedding. Then a complete stranger made an offer to the bride.

Source link