- In the past three years, Apple has had sales of around $ 360 million in Fortnite, the online game that Apple is now battling for its App Store fees.
- Epic Games, the maker of “Fortnite”, sued Apple on Thursday for its 30% commission for all in-app purchases through the App Store. Earlier this week Apple removed “Fortnite” from the App Store after Epic Games tried to bypass Apple’s commission.
- Fortnite has been installed more than 133 million times and has spent $ 1.2 billion on the App Store worldwide, according to analysts Sensor Tower. Around 30% of this revenue went to Apple.
- Meanwhile, Fortnite has been downloaded 1
- You can find more stories on the Business Insider homepage.
Before Epic Games sued Apple for its App Store fees, it was a cash cow for the tech giant that made Apple $ 360 million in sales through its “Fortnite” app alone.
A brewing conflict between Epic Games and Apple became public on Thursday when Apple removed Epic Games’ “Fortnite” from the App Store because it tried to bypass Apple’s 30% commission on all in-app purchases. Epic Games then sued Apple and accused it of anti-competitive behavior.
“Apple’s removal of Fortnite is another example of Apple’s tremendous power to impose unreasonable restrictions and illegally maintain its 100% monopoly over the in-app payment processing market for iOS,” Epic said in its lawsuit.
Epic Games sued Google a few hours later on Thursday for similar enforcement of commissions on the Google Play Store.
The data provided by app analytics firm Sensor Tower to Business Insider shows how much money Apple and Google made from Fortnite, which has hundreds of millions of players around the world. Fortnite is free to download – which has contributed to its popularity – but encourages players to spend money on in-game purchases that require commissions from Apple or Google.
Since its release in 2017, “Fortnite” has been installed 133.2 million times and, according to Sensor Tower, has spent $ 1.2 billion worldwide on the App Store alone. It has been installed 2.4 million times in the past 30 days and has sales of $ 43.4 million on the App Store. Apple has received a commission of 30% on the App Store sales of “Fortnite”, which corresponds to a total volume of 360 million US dollars.
Meanwhile, “Fortnite” has been downloaded 11 million times and generated $ 10 million for the Google Play Store since it was first launched there in April 2020, according to Sensor Tower. It accounted for 2 million installs and $ 3.3 million spend in the last 30 days. Google also charges a 30% commission on app revenue, which means that Google made around $ 3 million from Fortnite.
Representatives from Google, Apple and Epic Games did not immediately respond to requests for comments.
Here you can get the current Google share price.