Detroit – For LaTonya McIntyre, 43, the first contender for the two-day visit to Aretha Franklin was the purchase of a Las Vegas ticket and a wait, which began at 4 pm Monday.

Like many in the minute line in front of the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History, the reason for their sacrifice is simple: to pay their respects.

The second in line was Detroiter Dwayne Gooch, 66, who used a scooter to move. Gooch lives in an apartment opposite the museum.

Gooch noticed the high number of foreigners at the top of the line. The woman from Las Vegas. The woman from Austin, Texas. The sisters of St. Louis. When asked why this was so, he said, " They are stubborn fans, that's the only thing I can think of."

Buy Photo

The hearse Carrying the Body by Aretha Franklin arrives on August 28, 2018 at the Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. (Photo: James David Dickson / The Detroit News)

Shortly after seven in the morning, Aretha Franklin's body came to the museum in a white hearse accompanied by the police. Pallbearers pulled her golden coffin out of the hearse and rolled it into the front entrance of the museum.

Professional photographers shot pictures and the crowd pulled out cell phones to record and transmit the moment. Short songs of "Queen of Soul" and a futile attempt "Amazing Grace" were shouted. After the queen entered, everyone returned to their place in the queue.

As it approached 9 am, the crowd headed north to Brush at Farnsworth, near Frederick, far beyond the end of the guardrails. New arrivals on the line carried chairs and roll coolers to the back edge of the line.

A wall of five Porta Potties on Brush was the only available toilet for the crowd of thousands.

Mary Eatmon, 87, was not the first woman to drive a bus for what is known today as the Detroit Department of Transportation. She was seventh. Close enough to write history.

And on Tuesday, Eatmon was not the first in line, she was ninth. Close enough to be among the first groups when the doors of the museum were opened to the public at 9 pm

Eatmon was motivated to get off to an early start because she felt that she was visiting the Rosa Parks was hurried through the line in 2005. the point she says "I could hardly see her."

Eatmon did not want to leave this time to chance and thought that an early arrival would be her hedge against any hurry.

More: Royal Oak make-up artist recalls her decade with Aretha Franklin

More: Detroit Jazz Fest becomes tribute to Aretha Franklin

More: The Friend's Connection with Aretha Franklin was Sincere

It was good for the people in the leadership to save their place. You are alright if you have to use one of the Porta Potties nearby or have a bite to eat or walk and move your legs.

"People are sad, but they are not sad-sad," said Eatmon. "It's like a reunion. There is only a good feeling. People are so nice to each other. "

Eatmon's favorite Aretha song was" Respect. "

" We know her. What you give is what you get back, "Eatmon said." That must show that she has brought out a lot of good stuff. Because people came from everywhere. People do not have to sacrifice their time or comfort, but they want to do it.

Read or Share This Story: https: //de.words/www/BQp6NS