Home / Health / Australian woman claims cotton swab abuse has led to an infection that "eats her skull"

Australian woman claims cotton swab abuse has led to an infection that "eats her skull"

An Australian woman openly described her experience of a potentially fatal infection that occurred after she had her ears cleaned with cotton swabs. It now warns others against using the swabs, which are not recommended for use for this purpose.

The woman, who identified herself only as jasmine, shared her experiences in the Australian outlet That's Life! in May. The 37-year-old, who claimed to have cleaned her ears with cotton buds for years, finally got a "high-pitched ringing" in her left ear and also suffered from hearing loss.


"I cleaned my ears with cotton swabs every night and felt a dull ache when I hit them," she wrote, noting that she was having trouble to hear her two young sons, 1

0-year-old Dylan and 8-year-old Cody.

Jasmine claims she went to a doctor who prescribed her antibiotics for an ear infection. However, she did not improve and later noticed a "brown discharge" in her ear before claiming that blood started to appear.

She went to another doctor, a general practitioner who, after conducting a hearing test, confirmed that she had "moderate numbness" in her left ear. This doctor recommended that Jasmine consult an ENT specialist.

  The 37-year-old Australian now has a permanent hearing loss in her left ear.

The 37-year-old Australian now has a permanent hearing loss in her left ear.

After examining Jasmine, the ENT made a diagnosis that she was feeling ill.

The doctor, whom Jasmine did not identify, told her she was suffering from a "serious illness." A Bacterial Infection [that] ate away my skull behind my ear.

The specialist told her that she "had to undergo surgery yesterday" and "die" from the infection. The doctor also told Jasmine to postpone her honeymoon with her husband, Bryon, today. The two were due to travel in May 2018, but Jasmine's operation would prevent them from flying.

"Next month I went under the knife to have the infection removed," she said. "The surgeons had to reconstruct my ear canal and remove the affected tissue during a five-hour operation."

Jasmine told the surgeon that the fibers of the cotton swabs were stuck above the ear in her ear years later, which led to the infection.

"The cotton has been gathering and festering for five years, and my skull behind the ear was very thin," she said, adding that the surgeon had told her she had "pushed" cotton buds too far "into her ear.

"I shudder when I think about what would have happened if I stopped going to the doctor.

– Jasmine

One year after the operation, Jasmine said "still struggling to hear" on her left ear, but refuses to wear a hearing aid because "her pride got in the way" ,

. If I had left when I heard the sound for the first time, I could have saved my hearing, "she said, warning everyone of the dangers of cotton swab abuse. Our ears are so sensitive and sensitive body parts and must be handled with care. It's so scary that my simple hygiene could have cost me my life. "In March, a 31-year-old Briton developed a bacterial infection in his skull associated with the use of cotton swabs to clean his ears, reportedly having memory loss and headaches that made him vomit, and later having one due to the infection triggered attack that took him to the hospital.

Source link