قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Authorities regard illegal alcohol as a possible cause of death for DR tourists

Authorities regard illegal alcohol as a possible cause of death for DR tourists



Officials want to know who delivered the alcoholic drinks that the victims had drunk in the minutes and hours before their deaths last year – and if the drinks contained dangerous chemicals, law enforcement authorities stated.

The FBI is helping and will be returning blood samples from the dead to its research center in Quantico, Virginia, source said.

The Dominican government insists that the deaths are isolated cases, while representatives of both resorts where the victims died – the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino and Bahia Principe – described the deaths as simple accidents.

But most of the deaths are similar in that they are seemingly healthy adults, at least some of them drinking from the minibar of their hotel room before suddenly becoming seriously ill.

Five American t Weists have mysteriously died on the island this year, while the family of two others who died in 201

8 suspect that their loved ones had a bad game.

Others reported having fallen ill but survived after drinking from their minibar

A post-reporter at one of the resorts noticed that the vodka in the room had a strange, strong odor reminded of pure alcohol.

Lawrence Kobilinsky, a professor of forensics at John Jay College of Criminal Law in Manhattan, said symptoms in some of the dead – including nausea, vomiting, diarrhea – consisted of poisoning by methanol or pesticides.

Methanol is an unsafe alcohol for humans. It is used regularly as antifreeze.

"Adulterated alcohol is usually methanol, which is added to alcohol, or just methanol, which is very, very toxic," Kobilinsky said.

and read that something was added to the drinks or bottles in these small refrigerators.

In two Bahia Principe resorts, where there were three visitors, health inspectors of several authorities carried out extensive tests on the pool, air conditioners, food areas and alcohol by dying, said the Dominican Ministry of Health. They are waiting for the results.

"There should not be any methanol in the liquid at all," Kobilinsky said. "If it's there, it means that it was faked or intentionally left there." Policemen investigate whether spoiled alcohol from the minibar is responsible for the tourists. "width =" 662 "height =" 441 "srcset =" https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/190613-resort-liquor1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300 300w, https: / /thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/190613-resort-liquor1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=640 640w, https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/190613-resort- liquor1.jpg? quality = 90 & strip = all & w = 1280 1280w, https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/190613-resort-liquor1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=662 662w, https: // thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2019/06/190613-resort-liquor1.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1324 1324w "data-sizes =" (max-width: 640px) 100vw, 662px "/>

A minibar in a room in a Dominican resort serves draft beer. Angel Chevrestt

In 2017, the Dominican National Police has five laboratories for the production of alcohol that is not safe for human consumption.

The Barkeeper of Hard Rock, Angel Santana, 43, said, however, contamination claims seie n "not possible".

sure, "he said.

According to a statement by Hard Rock, clinical testing at the Hospiten Bavaro hospital in Punta Cana revealed that both deaths at his resort were caused by heart attacks.

The hotel also stated that it only buys "unopened products from licensed and reputable sellers".

The first suspicious death on Hard Rock occurred in July 2018 when American tourist David Harrison, 45, fell ill in his room and died. On 14 April died there, the 67-year-old Robert Bell Wallace.

On May 25, 41-year-old Miranda Schaupp-Werner of Pennsylvania died after drinking from the minibar of her room at the luxury resort of Bahia Principe Bouganville.

] Five days later, Maryland couple Nathaniel Edward Holmes, 63, and Cynthia Day, 49, were found dead in their room in the neighboring Grand Bahia Principe.

Yvette Monique Short from Philadelphia died in June 2018 after drinking from her minibar at the resort.

A seventh-person family, Leyla Cox of Staten Island, said on Thursday that she had mysteriously died in her room during a trip last week. It was not clear where she was.


Source link