ROSEMONT, Ill. – Dillon Danis said he made an impressive performance before his professional debut, but in the end it was his bread and butter, which has done his job.
Danis (1: 0 MMA, 1: 0 BMMA) forced Kyle Walker (2-5 MMA, 0: 1 BMMA) to move quickly to the first round to win his highly anticipated MMA debut. The failure came at 1:38 for Danis, the training partner of Conor McGregor, and one of the most decorated grappler that is now in MMA.
The 175-pound Catchweight Fight opened today's main Bellator 198 event at the Allstate Arena in Rosemont, Ill., Near Chicago. After premiering on MMAjunkie, it ran on Paramount.
Danis shot fast, but Walker avoided the early takedown attempt. Walker's first left hand pushed Danis's head back, and a second later he dropped it. Danis tried a body kick for 45 seconds and kept going. When he did a takedown for a minute, Walker used it to get into the lead in Danis'. But with a jiu-jitsu ace, that was the last place he wanted to be.
Danis quickly grabbed his left leg. Walker tried to climb away on his feet, but Danis eased him down. A few seconds later, Walker had no choice but to knock on his knee by the heavy pressure, and Walker looked as if his knee had been tense.
"I feel great," Danis said. "This is another level … It's just Jiu-Jitsu, I'm the one who created it, I did all the media, all the bums on the map had to be after me."
Danis won his highly anticipated Pro-MMA debut. Walker, who fought under the Bellator banner for the first time, dropped his third street.
Recent Bellator 198 results include:
- Dillon Danis def. Kyle Walker via submission (toehold) – Round 1, 1:38
- Sultan Umar pres. Tom Angeloff by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)
- Robert Morrow def. Adam Maciejewski by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Adil Benjilany, in particular, Corey Jackson by unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Mark Stoddard bes. Dan Sitttgen on Template (Triangle Throttle) – Round 1, 4:43
- Eric Wisely def. Morgan Sickinger via template (armbar) – Round 1, 1:12
- Joey Diehl, Nate Williams on template (Roundabout) – Round 1, 0:54
- Asef Askar against Andrew Johnson decided majority vote (27-28 Askar , 28-28, 28-28)
- R & M Almond Cameron def. P. J. Cajigas by Unanimous Decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
For the full coverage of the Bellator 198, see the MMA Events section of the website.