Hundreds of firefighters were called on Saturday to suppress the fire on the grounds of the Europa Park in the Rhine town of Rust, about halfway between Freiburg and neighboring Strasbourg
The regional Badische Zeitung Newspaper quoted park manager Michael Mack as saying nobody had been injured, but the attractions "Batavia" and "Norway" had been "completely lost".
What we know so far:  – A building that was described as a warehouse ( Lagehaus in German) caught fire in the early evening and caused the evacuation of several attractions.
– Park management and police said no one was injured initially. Late in the evening, SWR reported that four people had been injured, including two employees and two firefighters.
– When the fire broke out, there were 25,000 visitors on site, says the police.
– Firefighters were also called in from Karlsruhe and Freiburg, two major cities in the state of Baden-Württemberg, it said locally English: www. German: www.mjfriendship.de/de/index.php?op…95&Itemid=55 Michael Michael, the spokesman for the European Park Michael Mack, said two attractions had been "lost."
– At nightfall, Wege said that the crews had lost their lives Although the situation had not been controlled, but had been anxious fire spreads to other attractions.
– After dark, a police spokesman in the regional city of Offenburg said the fire was now under control, but hot spots remained.
– The residents of Rust were asked to close windows and doors, according to the newspaper.
Images showed thick clouds of smoke above the flat roof building and towering over sights.
What is Europa-Park?
The site brings together some 100 attractions and hotels and attracts around 5.5 million visitors every year according to the host city of Rust
After Disneyland Paris, it is one of Europe's most visited amusement complexes.
It was opened in 1975 and covers 995,000 square meters, spread over 18 themed areas with around 100 rides. Also on site are five upscale hotels and a campsite.
The construction site employs 3,600 people. On its corporate website, Europa-Park says its attractions indirectly secure 8,500 jobs in the region.
ipj / jm (dpa, AFP)