- Jan. 22, 2019 – Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited / "losartan potassium tablets, USP; losartan potassium hydrochlorothiazide combination tablets, USP "
- Jan. 18, 2019 – Prinston Pharmaceutical Inc. dba Solco Healthcare LLC / Irbesartan and Irbesartan HCTZ Tablets
- Jan. 03, 2019 Aurobindo Pharma USA, Inc./80 lots of Amlodipine Valsartan Tablets, Valsartan HCTZ Tablets, and Valsartan Tablets (NDEA)
- Dec. 04, 2018 / Mylan Pharmaceuticals / Valsartan-containing products (NDEA)
- 11.27.2018 / Teva Pharmaceuticals / Amlodipine / Valsartan Combination Tables and Amlopidines / Valsartan / Hydrochlorothiazide Combination Tablets (NDEA)
- Nov. 20, 2018 / Mylan Pharmaceuticals / Amlodipine and Valsartan Tablets; Valsartan Tablets; Valsartan and Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets (NDEA)
- Nov. 08.2018 / Sandoz Inc / Losartan Potassium Hydrochlorothiazide (NDEA)
- Oct. 30, 2018 / ScieGen Pharmaceuticals, Inc / Irbesartan Tablets (NDEA)
- Oct. 26,2018 / Aurobindo Pharma Limited / Irbesartan Drug (NDEA)
- Oct. 23, 2018 / Torrent Pharmaceuticals Limited / Valsartan / Amlodipine / HCTZ; Valsartan / Amlodipine; and Valsartan tablets (NDMA)
- Oct. 17, 2018 / Torrent Pharmaceuticals / Valsartan / Amlodipine / HCTZ Tablets (NDMA)
- Aug. 08, 2018 / Camber Pharmaceuticals, Inc. / Valsartan Tablets (NDMA)
- July 17, 2018 / Teva Pharmaceuticals USA / Valsartan and Valsartan Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets (NDMA)
- July 17, 2018 / Prinston Pharmaceutical Inc. dba Solco Healthcare LLC / Valsartan Tablets and Valsartan Hydrochlorothiazide Tablets (NDMA)
- July 13, 2018 / Major Pharmaceuticals / Valsartan Tablets (NDMA)
Another day, another problem for blood pressure medications, and it's starting to frustrate Cindy Bryan who takes her pills daily
"Even the doctors do not know about it," Bryan said.
Channel 11 has reported more than a dozen blood pressure medication recalls since July of last year. Each recalled medication contains trace amounts of the chemical NDEA, which the FDA deems a "probable human carcinogen."
>> RELATED: Infant ibuprofen voluntary recall expanded to 3 more products
Dr. Dr. Mark Schmidhofer from UPMC Prebyterian said the carcinogen is a waste produced by the FDA in a new manufacturing process that did not know how.
Schmidhofer said, "and people did not anticipate this was there, so they did not routinely test for it."
Dr. Schmidhofer said taking one of the medications over the course of four years could lead to a single one in 8,000 chances of developing liver cancer.
Monsanto-based pharmaceutical company Mylan produces valsartan, one of the drugs recalled in recent months. In a statement, Mylan has said it has "taken immediate action to eliminate NDEA from the Valsartan API manufacturing process."
But pharmacist Dan Asti of Asti's Pharmacy in the South Hills said Drug companies need to do a better job of announcing recalls directly to doctors, pharmacists and patients. He said there is a need for a direct line of communication.
"They are not getting that in a more accurate fashion," Asti said. "We can call you instead of you calling us."
But Dr. Schmidhofer said, despite the rise in recalls, patients should not loose faith.
"Medicine is doing something right," he said. Tons. "
15 blood pressure medications recalled by FDA since July
NDEA and NDMA are both possible cancer-causing carcinogens. NDEA is found in certain foods, drinking water, air pollution and industrial processes. Find more info about NDMA on the EPA website.
The FDA is trying to trace the source of the contaminants. Originally, they were linked to factories in China and India that help supply valsartan to generic drug makers. 81 people in 2007 and 2008. That factory had serious manufacturing deficiencies according to the FDA.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.
December 4, 2019
December 4, 2019
November 20, 2019