قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Brain-eating amoeba kills man who went swimming at North Carolina water park

Brain-eating amoeba kills man who went swimming at North Carolina water park



The Victim, Eddy Gray got sick and died after swimming at the Lake Water Park on July 12, according to CNN affiliate WTVD.

Naegleria fowleri, known as the brain-eating amoeba, caused Gray's death, the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services said in a press release.

The single-celled organism is found to be freshwater has higher temperatures and lower levels, typically during extended periods of heat, the department said. Headache, fever, nausea and vomiting, which progress to stiff neck, seizures and coma.

However, it is not infectious when the water is swallowed.

From the nose, the CDC says, "The organism travels up to the brain where it destroys tissue."

"The fatality can come when it's out and about." Our sympathies are with the family and loved ones, "said State Epidemiologist Zack Moore, MD "People should be aware that this organism is present in warm freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs across North Carolina, so be mindful as you swim or enjoy water sports."

The park is working with local health officials on the presence of the amoeba.

Though serious and scary, infections of the amoeba are rare, according to to the department.

CNN's Joe Sutton contributed to this report.


Source link