Atlanta Braves pitcher Sean Newcomb apologized on Sunday for racist, homophobic and sexist tweets he sent as a teenager, calling them "a few stupid things".
"I definitely regret it," he said.
25-year-old Newcomb spoke less than an hour after he almost fought the Los Angeles Dodgers. The tweets were sent in 2011 and 2012.
"I just wanted to apologize for any insensitive material," Newcomb said. "It was a long time ago, six or seven years ago, to say some stupid things with friends."
"I know I've grown a lot since then, I did not mean that, it was just a fool I did a long time ago, and I certainly did not mean it," he said.
Major League Baseball has a similar situation this month with Milwaukee Brewers Reliever Josh Hader on the night he appeared in the All-Star Game
"Such inappropriate comments have no place in our game Aware of a serious problem, Billy Bean is meeting with Mr. Newcomb this week, and we will find a suitable diversity training course for him in the Atlanta community, "MLB said in a statement.
Bean is MLB's Vice President of Social Responsibility and Inclusion. He is a former big league outfielder and openly gay.
Hader apologized for being sent offensive tweets when he came to light a teenager on July 1
"We are aware of the tweets that appeared after today's game and talked to Sean, who is incredibly remorseful," the Braves said in a statement posted on Twitter. "Regardless of how long he has previously posted, he is aware of the insensitivity and takes full responsibility."
"We find the tweets hurtful and unbelievably disappointing, and although he was 18 or 19 years old, he does not. We will work with Sean to heal the wounds that have developed in our community," the team said ,
Atlanta's clubhouse was already closed to the media after answering questions about his career-best moment. a 4-1 victory in which he came from a no-hitter within a strike. Chris Taylor broke the bid with two out singles in the ninth inning.
Newcomb said he forgot the tweets until he picked up his phone postgame and saw the mentions of the posts. The Braves reopened the dressing room about 30 minutes later – Newcomb said it was his idea for a team official to bring down reporters so he could address the issue.
"That's obviously something that can not happen," he said. "I feel bad, I do not want to insult anyone, it was six, seven years ago, I meant nothing and I definitely regret it."
Newcomb said he does not. I think the tweets will lead to fallout among the current team members.
"No, I do not believe that," he said. "I think people who know me know that this is not the kind of person I am, it's been a long time since then and at the same time, I did not mean it."