قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / World / Brazil Dammkollaps: Second dam raises new fear of catastrophes

Brazil Dammkollaps: Second dam raises new fear of catastrophes



Civil defense and military police evacuate people living near the Córrego do Feijão mine in Brumadinho, reports the Minas Gerais fire department. The fire brigade itself is on standby to provide emergency relief if the dam breaks, officials said.

The fire brigade said that since early Sunday morning the alarm had been raised, the risk for the second dam – Dam VI – had increased from level 1 to level 2.

The evacuations take place after at least 34 people died when a dam burst on Friday. The break flooded portions of the southeastern state of Minas Gerais with debris and mud, which resulted in much of Brumadinho being buried, as recorded by CNN subsidiary Record TV.

The search and rescue efforts were halted until the situation was deemed safe and the risk of Dam VI dropped back to level 1

, the fire department said. Vale engineers continue to drain the dam VI.

  An aerial view shows a collapsed bridge after it was flooded by a broken dam on Friday in southeastern Brazil.

The latest casualties have been released by the fire department, which conducts search and rescue operations. Of the 34 confirmed dead, the fire department said 22 bodies had been recovered.

A video of the scene showed helicopters hovering high above the ground as firefighters pulled people out of the mud.

Heavy rains have hampered rescue efforts. 19659023]

The fire department said they understand the possibility of finding living people as the hours pass, but said the search will continue until all victims are found.

According to the civil defense authority and the fire department, 366 people were found and 256 missing. The fire department also said that there are 23 people in a hospital.

The Brazilian mining giant Vale has updated online a list of 251 names of people with whom he has been unable to contact.

Mine wastes spilled by Friday's break in the management area of ​​the mine, where employees have been working, according to Vale. The authorities said 427 people had been in the iron mine on Friday when the dam burst.

State justice has frozen more than $ 260 million from Vale, with a presiding judge citing the company's responsibility for the disaster. The money is deposited in a court account to offset any costs incurred by the state as a result of rescue operations or victim assistance. The state of Minas Gerais fined Vale a $ 99 million fine for damage caused by the dam failure and said the money would be used for repairs.

"It is hard to testify"

State Government Romeu Zema On Saturday declared three days of mourning, according to a dismissal from the government of Minas Gerais. He also thanked all the agencies that had offered help.

Minister Augusto Heleno said from the Cabinet of Institutional Security that the financial aid will be paid both directly to the people and to local governments.

Officials said the priority now is to support the victims and their families. Afterwards, the officials said they would focus on environmental damage and the degradation process.

The dam that was broken was not classified as a risk, officials said.

Attorney General André Mendonça said Vale was responsible for the disaster, but the extent of the damage was unknown.

In an effort to find missing persons, the Attorney General's Office at the Federal Court of Minas Gerais obtained an injunction ruling that mobile operators should provide data from the cell phone signals of people who were in the area where the dam broke.

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro flew across the scene on Saturday morning and met with Zema before returning to the capital.

"It's hard to experience this whole scenario and not be emotional," tweeted Bolsonaro on Saturday.

"We will do our utmost to help victims minimize damage, investigate facts, demand justice and prevent new tragedies such as those in Mariana and Brumadinho for the well-being of Brazilians and the environment," he said he
  The consequences of the collapse of the dam near Brumadinho in southeastern Brazil.

"I could only see people screaming and screaming," she said. "The sirens did not work, only people shouting to advise others, everyone was desperate."

The niece of Jesus, Cristina Paula, is missing and is not on any list. Paula worked at the Nova Instancia Hotel, which was devoured by the mud during the dam break. De Jesus says she learned from two survivors at the hotel that the employees did not have time to counsel anyone because "they could only run for their lives."

"It's devastating, everyone here in the community is shocked, nobody expected this to happen," said de Jesus.

According to the Brazilian National Water Agency, officials expect them to withhold the mud-like mining waste called "tailings" within two days. Representatives of the Water Authority "supervise mine clearance" and "coordinate action" to provide quality water to the affected region.

  Rubble is widespread on Saturday in Parque da Cachoeira after the collapse of the dam.

In a corporate video, Vale boss Fabio Schvartsman on Friday asked for forgiveness from all concerned and all of Brazil society. "

" Unfortunately, the dam failure (today) happened. This is inexcusable, "said Schvartsman, adding that Vale will" do all sorts of things "for the victims."

"What has just happened is about everything I could imagine," he said.

He also said The company has made "tremendous efforts" to improve its dams, especially after the mining disaster in Mariana.

Vale says it has provided more than 1 million liters of drinking water to people hit by dam failure.

The company says it has hosted more than 800 people, 40 ambulances and a rescue helicopter, and employees work with volunteers to rescue and identify victims, the company said.

An Israeli plane arrived on Saturday with equipment to supporting the search, rescue and identification of victims, the Brazilian government said

 People watch the mud masses on Friday after the breakthrough h of the dam in the Feijao Mine.

The United Nations in Brazil also offered support and expressed its "deep sorrow and solidarity with the families" of the victims.

"The UN deplores the immense loss of life and significant damage to the environment and human settlements," it said in a statement. "The UN system is available to support the actions of the Brazilian authorities in the speedy removal of victims and the creation of dignified conditions for the eventual homeless and the affected population."

"The rigorous investigation of the facts that led to it This tragedy, "he added," is being closely followed by the Brazilians and the world community.

Lara Stahlberg of CNN, Flora Charner, Hira Humayun and Eric Levenson contributed to this report.


Source link