A British teenager accused of falsely claiming to have been raped by a group of Israeli tourists in a holiday resort in Cyprus did not plead guilty on Tuesday.
The 19-year-old was released on 20,000 euros – about $ 22,200 bail on the condition that she hand over her passport and report to Nicosia police three times a week until the trial begins on October 2nd.
Her father, who participated in the trial, guaranteed a 15,000 euro bail. The teenager's lawyer, Nicoletta Charalambidou, told the Famagusta District Court that she would request that the Attorney General suspend the criminal case on the grounds that their withdrawal was forced the rape. 1
I have not lied that she was raped and the repression was exploited by the Cypriot police to force her to withdraw her allegations of rape, "said Michael Polak, head of the Judiciary Abroad, a group affiliated with her The retreat is unreliable due to the events at the police station.
However, the authorities strongly deny that their withdrawal has been enforced and state that they have made the declaration voluntary in writing.
Initially, the teen claimed 12 Israelis raped her on 17 July. The Israelis, aged 15 to 18, were released last month after the woman was arrested on suspicion of "making a false statement about an imaginary crime," the Cypriot police said.
In a conviction, the woman – who was not named – could expect a fine of around € 1,700 up to a year in Slammer.
Her parents seek donations for her daughter's legal fees by setting up a GoFundMe site that has already raised $ 28,900.
"We claim that the statement was made under duress and in violation of their rights, which led to the collapse of the investigation and public wrong-wing charges against them," the parents said on the page.
With pole wires