قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / "Carnivorous" bacteria kill Texas man who went with Wade Fishing open wounds

"Carnivorous" bacteria kill Texas man who went with Wade Fishing open wounds



An elderly man died after becoming infected with a deadly, carnivorous bacterium known as Vibrio vulnificus while wading fish in the Gulf of Mexico authorities said on Tuesday.

After Coming Out When the water started, the individual suffered severe leg pain and was presented to a hospital in Nueces County, Texas, where classic signs of bacterial infection occurred, according to local health officials.

Measures were taken to combat the said infection as vibriosis – and the leg was amputated, but the patient died one day after admission.

"Vibrio bacteria, of course, inhabit coastal waters where oysters live," the Corpus Christi-Nueces County Health District said in a statement. "These bacteria occur in higher concentrations between May and October, when the water temperatures are warmer."

Bacteria can enter the body through skin cracks or open wounds, as in the case of their last death, or by consuming raw or uncooked shellfish

It can cause severe and life-threatening infections that cause septic shock can. For those who eat contaminated shellfish, symptoms such as watery diarrhea, abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills and severe pain may occur.

When the bacteria invade through a wound, the symptoms may also include the breakdown of the skin's infected area or bladder lesions. (Vibrio is not a truly carnivorous bacterium such as Streptococcus A, though it is often described as such because the lesions it can cause are similar.)

Vibrio vulnificus is a rare cause of disease, of which only about 200 infections occur annually in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). However, about one in four infected people sometimes dies within one to two days.

People with a weakened immune system, such as the elderly or people with chronic liver disease, are at a higher risk for serious complications.

1

9659002] There are several other types of Vibrio bacteria that cause less serious vibriosis. The CDC estimates that vibrio in the US causes 80,000 illnesses annually. About 52,000 of them are probably due to contaminated food. The most commonly described species, Vibrio parahaemolyticus causes 45,000 of these diseases.  Vibrio_vulnificus_01 [19659013] False-color scanning electron microscopic picture of Vibrio vulnificus bacteria. </span> <span class= CDC / James Gathany

The CDC offers the following advice to reduce the risk of vibriosis infection:

  • Do not eat raw or undercooked oysters or other shellfish
  • Always wash your hands with soap and water after handling raw crustaceans.
  • Avoid contaminated shellfish with raw shellfish and their juices.
  • Stay out of brackish or salt water if you have a wound scraping), or cover your wound with a waterproof bandage if it comes into contact with brackish or salt water, raw seafood, or raw seafood juices. Brackish water is a mixture of fresh and sea water. It is often found where rivers meet the sea.
  • Wash wounds and cuts thoroughly with soap and water when exposed to seawater or raw seafood or juices.
  • If you develop a skin infection, contact your doctor if your skin has been exposed to brackish or salt water, raw seafood, or raw seafood juices.


Source link