(Reuters) – At least 140 people said they had become ill after eating at a restaurant in Mexico Grill Inc ( CMG.N ) in Ohio and the shares of the burrito chain early by 8 percent repelled trade.
FILE PHOTO: The Chipotle Mexican Grill logo can be seen at Chipotle's Next Kitchen in Manhattan, NY, June 28, 201
Customers said they suffered from food poisoning and diarrhea after meals that included tacos and burrito bowls at the Powell, Ohio restaurant over the past few days, according to food safety site iwaspoisoned.com.
It was not immediately clear if these customers had been diagnosed by doctors linking their illnesses to the food eaten at the chain.
The posts on iwaspoisoned.com are anonymous and Reuters could not verify the accounts immediately.
Chipotle closed the restaurant on Monday after receiving complaints and said it would go into the cases.
"We are unaware of confirmed food-borne illness and we are working with the local Ministry of Health," a Chipotle spokesman told Reuters on Monday.
Ohio State health officials were not immediately available to comment on the incident.
The news is another setback for the company, which recovered from a series of high-profile food safety failures in 2015 that offended more than 100 customers and hurt Chipotle's reputation and share price.
The company's shares fell 7.4 percent to $ 431.12, offsetting gains since Chipotle reported stronger-than-expected earnings and restaurant sales on Thursday for the second quarter.
Just a few months before the food safety incidents in 2015, Chipotle traded at over $ 700.
Reporting by Siddharth Cavale in Bengaluru; Edited by Anil D & # 39; Silva