Click HERE to request an annual subscription to BlueAndGold.com and get your FREE gift code for $ 99 in Ireland clothing and equipment!
Merry Christmas to our Blue & Gold Illustrated family!
2018 was a whole year for Notre Dame, and since last Christmas everything seems to be in order for the Fighting Irish program. It began with a Citrus Bowl victory over the LSU, followed by the decision of Jerry Tillery Te "by Coney and Drue Tranquill to return to college, and in February The workforce moved into one of the best recruiting classes in the country.
Notre Dame won all 1
Despite the success last year, there is still much to wish for at Christmas if you are a Notre Dame fan. Here is my Christmas wish list for fans of Notre Dame.
1. Beat Clemson : I mean, what better way to put an end to Notre Dame and his fans in 2018 than to the Irish who beat Clemson in the Cotton Bowl the team advanced to the national title game?
That victory would do much to Notre Dame. It would not only give the Irish the second chance to play for a title in the last seven seasons, it would give Brian Kelly his first win against a team considered a legitimate powerhouse. Notre Dame has won matches against such outstanding teams as Stanford, Oklahoma, USC, Michigan State and Michigan, but has never beaten a team leading the pack. There, Alabama and Clemson were the last four seasons. 19659005] Notre Dame defeating Clemson would not be valid as an emerging national force for what she is currently doing in the field, for what she did in the 20th century.
2. No to The NFL: Talking to sources about the Notre Dame program in the past offseason, there was some excitement about what this team might be in 2018, but the excitement grew really, as the conversation turned on the 2019 season. Notre Dame was clearly one year ahead of schedule, which can be good and bad.
Notre Dame's schedule is brutal in 2019 and the Irish will be playing street games against Georgia, Michigan and Stanford to play home games against USC, Virginia Tech and Boston College. If everyone who is eligible comes back, the Irish have the opportunity to edit this schedule. In times when a team performs a surprising run, the result can be that players earn money and leave for the NFL.
We saw that in 2016, several underclasses in Washington had made the surprising decision to go after their surprise playoff run. Notre Dame has a number of players dealing with similar choices: Julian Love Julian Okwara Miles Boykin Khalid Kareem and Chase Claypool . If all five players decide on the next season, Notre Dame will have a team that is capable of making another legitimate run for a playoff spot.
3rd employee remains intact: The staff that Brian Kelly put together after the 2016 season have made a major contribution to the rapid rise of the team. If Kelly gets the workforce, which includes weight-trainer Matt Balis, to stay intact, the Irish will maintain continuity from a coaching point of view, which is Nick Saban and Dabo Swinney's success was crucial to building elite programs.
4. Patience From The Freshmen: It seems to be a daily occurrence that a talented freshman who did not have the expected first year playing time decides to move elsewhere. So far Notre Dame has not suffered, and hopefully this will remain the case.
Notre Dame received an outstanding recruitment class in 2018, but we could not say that this class has the impact on the field her talent would otherwise dictate. Notre Dame returned to a veteran squad in 2018, keeping the talented freshman class from really clapping.
That does not mean that the class is not loaded with future stars, and I believe the class has a number of future standouts. If the current freshman group stays patient, continues to work, continues to advance the veterans, and stays together, we'll say that this class will serve as the foundation for future Notre Dame playoffs.
5. Strong 2019 Class Finish: Notre Dame signed 21 scholarship holders in December, but staff hopes to have two more players on the February signing day.
Four-star defensive Isaiah Foskey is the difference between Notre Dame with a marginal top-10 class that has it now, and Notre Dame, who for the first time brings together elites in Kelly's tenure. Right now, a third end, one with a punching talent, is really all that the class lacks, and I think Foskey is such a player.
Notre Dame also boosts the four-star linebacker Asa Turner. This is an interesting recruitment as Turner is not a real need, bearing in mind that Notre Dame landed eight linebackers in 2018 and 2019, but the staff who push so hard for him speak volumes about how much the Irish Employees like Turner.
From the point of view of numbers, he is no need, but his talent and fit in the Notre Dame defense change the game, and therefore, Notre Dame continues to make him a priority in the 2019 class.
If Notre Dame can land with Foskey. This class will be truly outstanding if they land both Foskey and Turner, I would say that Notre Dame is as good at defense for two years as any team in the country.
6. Elite Offensive Haul In 2020: Do not get me wrong, Notre Dame has well recruited the offensive side of the ball. His wide receiver and close class from 2018 were elite, and the offensive's offensive in 2019 is also one of the country's best. Notre Dame also landed a player I had rated as a five-star quarterback (Phil Jurkovec), three talented back decks in the two classes, and the offensive line depths are really good.
However, there is a gap between the raw tools of the defensive signees the last two seasons and the defensive players. The 2018 offensive move at skill levels is at this level, but the 2019 turn is not the same. No question, it's a good group, but Notre Dame has to catch up for an elite.
Offensive Coordinator Chip Long has given Notre Dame a hot start and a trio of four stars in QB Drew Pyne and tight ends Michael Mayer and Kevin Bauman. He and the rest of the staff are looking for a number of different creators at the skill positions, and the offensive line has a chance to be outstanding again.
If Long and the offensive staff can bring in another strong group of skill players and another strong line class, he has a chance to bring an offense to the field that can not do just what it takes to win – What it has been doing for the last two years – but it will have a chance to become a truly elite unit.