Just over a month has passed since the last major Chrome release. On time, version 75 is available on all platforms. In particular, the Android version has some nice improvements, including a feature that was originally teased in 2017. Dive in!
Dark theme update
Chrome 74 brought the first version of the dark theme of the Android app, but it has improved noticeably in v75. First, it seems that you no longer need to enable a flag – The Themes page should default to Chrome's settings. With Chrome 75, you can also set the light mode to be turned on at all times if you want to override your phone's dark mode.
Left: Chrome 74; Right: Chrome 75  Also, the main complaint about Chrome's Dark Mode was addressed – The text on the tab titles is finally white to be readable on the gray background.
Left: Chrome 74; Right: Chrome 75
Despite these improvements, the actual sites do not change their colors, even in dark mode. The CSS media query with the preferred color scheme that instructs sites to change their appearance based on device design will be available in Chrome version 76. The mode that inverts side colors is also not activated by default. However, you must toggle the #enable-android-web-contents-dark-mode flag.
This already told Google in 2017 that Chrome for Android would someday have a password generator, and now this functionality is finally here. When you tap a password input box, a new password bar appears at the bottom of the screen. Tapping the button displays all of your saved passwords for the current site, and the Propose Strong Password button automatically creates a password for you. Passwords help reduce the damage hacked sites have to your digital content Can cause life.
The Web Share API was originally introduced in Chrome 61, giving web pages the ability to share text and URLs to native Android apps for the first time. However, web pages can not share files (such as pictures) with this feature. Chrome 75 supports level 2 of the Web Share API, which fixes this issue.
A Demo of the Existing Web Share API
In a similar process to the existing Web Share API, apps can define a file (or a list of files) for sharing. When you click or tap a button in the app, the Android Share dialog box appears as it does with native applications. For example, an image galleries web app might add a button to share an image file with another app.
The only catch is that web apps can now send files, but still can not receive them from other web / native apps. This will be part of the Level 2 Web Share Target API, which is currently available in Chrome 76. Still, it's great to see web apps continue to be first class on Android.
As always, Chrome 75 includes changes for users and developers. This update bundles a few smaller features:
- More web animation options are available to developers, and the Web Animation API has been improved.
- Synchronous network requests when closing a page are blocked.
- Web pages can check if your device supports a specific sample size, sample rate, latency, and channel count for audio playback.
- The new events "Overscroll" and "Scrollend" allow web pages to determine when the content is scrolled over. or when the scrolling is finished. For example, you can create better animations to update.
- Service agents appear in Chrome's Task Manager.
- The Web Authentication API supports PINs for "keys that implement the FIDO CTAP2 protocol."
- A A new feature to freeze iframes (most embedded ads, videos, etc.) when the user scrolls through them is under development.
- The canvas.getContext () method supports a desynchronized hint, which may cause web apps to rely on image or image video processing a little faster.
The APK was signed by Google and updates your existing app. The cryptographic signature guarantees that the file can be safely installed and has not been tampered with. Rather than waiting for Google to download this download to your devices, downloading and installing can take days like any other APK.
Note: Most versions of Chrome APK use app bundles that APKMirror does not support. & # 39; t still support. Therefore, only a few variants are available for download.