While Kareem Hunt was not arrested on the night of his now heavily publicized dispute in Cleveland, there was a gentleman. Find out why.
The night Kareem Hunt was attacked by a surveillance video while attacking a woman, a person was arrested in a hotel and a luxurious apartment building in Cleveland ,
However, it was not the former Kansas City Chiefs running back.
Instead, Derek Szeto, a guest of The Metropolitan at 9, was handcuffed and charged with disorderly conduct after filing police in the lobby.
Szeto had allowed Hunt's wife to use his phone to call 911 after an employee at the front desk told her she could not use the phone there.
The actions of the Cleveland police that night have re-examined the department and asked questions about the reason Hunt was not charged with assaulting and disrupting the civil service, both offenses.
"I was scratched here, I have a wound here, I have a wound," the woman told the official while pointing to body parts picked up by Bodycam, the Cleveland police. "He plays in the NFL. He is an abusive person.
The Bodycam footage showed that an officer replied that he would "take photos or whatever you want to do," even though Jennifer Ciaccia, spokeswoman for the Cleveland Police Department police department, said no to USA TODAY Sports USA The footage the night of February 10, before it was released by TMZ last week.
"Surveillance of the surveillance film would be the easiest thing in the world for them," former Cuyahoga district attorney Dan Margolis told TODAY Sports. "In the footage I saw, the police were much more engaged with the (hunt friends) than they were interviewing (the victim). There is a back story when it comes to the fact that women who are the victims of crime are not taken seriously by the Cleveland police. "
Hunt was not arrested, and the city of Cleveland said in a statement to USA TODAY Sports that the woman would have to sue Hunt alone with the city public prosecutor. Hunt was released by the Chiefs on Friday, just minutes after the NFL announced that it had been included in the Commission's exempted list after TMZ's video was released.
POLICE SPOKESPERSON: Nobody in the Department Watched Video of Hunt Incident
KAREEM HUNT: Ex-Chiefs RB is attacked by NFL Teams on Waiver Release
CHIEFS MOVE ON: Mahomes Helps Chiefs Win The First Game After Hunt's Release
On Wednesday night, police said Cleveland in a statement that it is "an internal investigation of the Hunt investigation". Ciaccia previously said the detectives were only dealing with crimes, so the department did not investigate the incident since the night the incident happened.
Toni Van Pelt, President of the National Organization for Women, called on the legislature in Ohio to commit the incident. The woman, a college student, had met Hunt just that night, so no charges of domestic violence were made.
"There is a big hole when it comes to violence against women," said Van Pelt. "The laws do not protect date violence or violence against women outside the home."
Dan Williams, spokesman for the city of Cleveland, did not return several news that USA had left TODAY Sports for this story.
The woman filed no charges on Wednesday, although Margolis said she was under the jurisdiction of the city prosecutor – led by Barbara A. Langhenry, the director of the legal department – to act against Hunt.
"It's entirely possible Hunt could be charged without the involvement of the victim," said Margolis. "I do not know what efforts have been made to secure the testimony of the victim. There is already a possible reason to sue him. The case could be continued and they could summon the victim to testify.
News that USA USA left today with Langhenry were not returned.
Szeto does not understand why he was arrested and charged with taking a good Samaritan.
He stopped in a Uber outside the building and found the woman he did not know desperate to borrow his phone to call 911.
When policemen arrived and questioned the wife and Hunt's friends, Szeto began to take video of the scene on his cell phone.
"" Is there a way to delete the footage? "Said a hotel security officer of the police in a conversation that was recorded by Bodycam." He had no permission at all.
The police asked Szeto, 29, for his iPhone.
"You must have your permission," an officer told Szeto, according to Bodycam. "Let me see your phone, Let me see your phone "I asked you nicely."
Szeto replied, "I did not do anything wrong, I will not give up my cell phone unless you have a warrant, you can arrest me, but you will not take my property I know my rights. "
" We do not need an arrest warrant, "the officer replied.
The officer handcuffed Szeto and put him in a patrol car.
"A woman is beaten I call the police and I'm the one arrested," Szeto told the police before he signed the sentence and was released from custody.
Almost half of the three and a half hours of video footage the Cleveland police released that night was about Szeto's arrest.
"I feel confirmed that this came out," Szeto told USA TODAY Sports. "I hope people will be held accountable."
The Massachusetts-born Szeto pleaded for the arrest and paid $ 182 fine.
"It was both emotional and daunting," Szeto said. "I did not have time or money to fly back and fight back, I'm a proud person, I did not want anything on my record, I wanted to fight what the cops did to me that night, I fought for weeks with that "What should I do before I rush to do it?"
Jocelyn Rosnick, spokesman for ACLU, said in an email to USA TODAY Sports, "A person's phone confiscate just because they're near an alleged one The recording of the area raises serious privacy concerns and this type of case is actively conducted by the courts. "
This is not the first time that Clevelan's police tactics have been criticized.
The Ministry signed a Consent Decree Ministry of Justice in 2015 after the federal authority had opened an investigation into excessive force, and part of this agreement called for "distortion-free training" by patrol officers, detectives and regulators.
Previously, Cleveland police had ignored the testimonies Two high-profile cases: The arrest of Anthony Sowell in 2009, when the authorities rotted 11 dead women in his home, and the three women who had been in Ariel's home for years Cast were missing ro in 2013.
Margolis said the actions of the police in the hotel on the night of the incident suggest that more work must be done to ensure that the testimonies of victims and victims of officers are taken seriously become.
"Police have been working hand in hand over the years," Margolis said. "They have new procedures that relate to gender-based crime prejudice. … It's part of a systematic problem in Cleveland. They still have to speak out clearly and effectively against gender prejudice.
Follow USA TODAY Sports & # 39; A.J. Perez on Twitter @byajperez .