Contaminated skin care cream leaves a woman in a semi-comatose state, officials say
A woman in Northern California was left in a semi-comatose state after using a skincare cream that she had ordered from Mexico, apparently stained with a dangerous ingredient. According to Sacramento County Public Health, the woman contracted in late June and had been exposed to methylmercury, a toxic form of mercury that could cause brain and nervous system damage.
Officials said this was the first reported case of methylmercury poisoning of this type associated with a skin care cream in the US and urged consumers to use similar skin creams imported from Mexico "because of the risk of contamination with methylmercury GOES VIRAL
The woman Fox40.com reports she is 47 years old reportedly had bought Pond's rejuvenating cream from Jalisco, Mexico, for 1
2 years. The article, which is available in the US, is designed to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles within two weeks. Her son, who was identified as Jay, told the store that his mother knew something had been added to the cream before shipping, but that she had not had any problems before.
"It's really hard, you know, just about knowing Who's my mother? Who is she? Her personality? Said Jay, one of the woman's five children. "She's a very active woman, you know, get up early in the morning, do your morning exercises, go for a walk with your dog."
Jay told the news agency that his mother is currently bedridden and does not speak. 19659007] A woman in Northern California was left in a semi-comatose state after using a skin care cream from Mexico that appeared to be stained with a dangerous ingredient. "/>
A woman in Northern California was left in a semi-comatose state – comatose after using a skin care cream she ordered in Mexico that was apparently stained with a dangerous ingredient.
KANSAS RECOGNIZES THE FIRST VAPIN-RELATED LUNG DISEASE STATUS: IT'S TIME TO FINISH THE VAPING & # 39;
look at us and stuff, "he told the news agency. "She can not get up, stand, walk or not, she's just a bit bedridden at the moment."
Sacramento County Public Health said it works closely with the state health department to produce similar creams in the Sacramento area to test for methylmercury, which may be dangerous for children, pregnant women and those who may be particularly dangerous.
Signs and symptoms of possible poisoning may include difficulty concentrating, memory loss, nervousness, irritability, anxiety, depression, insomnia, headache Children may experience symptoms such as pink hands and feet, flaky skin, excessive salivation or thirst, irritability, loss of appetite, poor muscle tone, high blood pressure or rash.
CLICK HERE TO FOX NEWS APP GET
It is not the first time that health officials in the State could detect an adverse reaction to homemade or tainted skin creams. In the last nine years more than 60 cases have been linked to such substances.
In earlier cases, the health department noted that products contained less toxic forms of mercury.