Aldon Smith’s comeback story will run through Dallas.
The former productive pass rusher, whose problems out of the field had put him out of action in the past four seasons, agreed to a one-year contract with the cowboys on Wednesday, a source said. The deal is worth up to $ 4 million between a basic salary of $ 2 million and sack incentives of $ 2 million. It does not contain guaranteed money, which is a lottery ticket with a high reward.
Cowboys have signed a one-year, $ 4 million contract with DE Aldon Smith, the source said.
̵1; Michael Gehlken (@GehlkenNFL) April 2, 2020
The 30-year-old Smith was number 7 in the draft in 2011.
He recorded 33 1/2 combined sacks in 2011 and 2012, an NFL record for most sacks in the first two seasons of a career since statistics were first recorded in 1982. However, his struggles with drug abuse and legal problems affected his career and led to his indefinite suspension.
Smith has issued “clean tests,” a loved one said Wednesday night.
The hope is that Smith will be back before the 2020 season. His contract with Dallas only begins with his re-entry into the league.
Why Dallas was considered worthwhile for Smith went beyond the club’s need for an edge rusher after the defensive end to Robert Quinn’s departure from the freelance agency last month to the Chicago Bears. New Cowboys defensive coach Jim Tomsula was the defensive coach of the San Francisco 49ers throughout Smith’s four-year term. Tomsula’s story with Smith is believed to have had a major impact on the decision.
The cowboys are also waiting for the possible reinstatement of Randy Gregory’s defensive ending.
He was not eligible to participate in drug abuse issues in 2019.
More cowboys stories from the Dallas Morning News can be found here.