More than 160 people are now affected by a multi-stage outbreak of parasitic diseases due to McDonald's salads, federal health officials say.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday that 163 people in 10 states were suffering from the Cyclospora parasite after eating McDonald's salads, which were harvested from about 3,000 locations across the country last week.
Officials of the fast food chain said in an opinion that the growing number of states reported by the CDC and the US Food and Food Drug Administration are among the same states in which "we proactively decided to add our salad mix to affected restaurants remove and replace it with another provider. " Previously, public health officials in Illinois and Iowa had warned that a number of Cyclospora infections in these states appear to be associated with the salads.
The CDC said in a statement that McDonald's proactively pulled the salt ads in numerous states, "there is likely to be no continued risk for consumers who eat at these McDonald's locations."
Cyclospora cayetanensis is a parasite that can contaminate food and water through feces. When ingested, it can cause a non-life threatening bowel disease called cyclosporiasis, and symptoms of the disease usually appear after a week after infection, according to the CDC. Hundreds of cases of infection have been reported in May since May. Del Monte, which distributes fruit and vegetables, sold pre ̵
The CDC said last week that there were 227 laboratory confirmed cases of people suffering from the parasite after consuming the product. According to the authority, this number has since risen to 237.
At the same time, health authorities in Illinois and Iowa reported that a number of cases had been linked to McDonald's salads and the CDC said they had received reports from numerous other states. The announcements prompted the chain to draw salads from stores in Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin, he told The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) said in a statement that over 90 cases of cyclosporiasis have been reported across the state – and about 25 percent of the sick said they had eaten the salads days before the outbreak.
The health authorities reported similar results.
"This summer there were several groups of Cyclospora-related illnesses associated with various foods that are commercially available This week [the Iowa Department of Public Health] identified 15 Iowans, the end of June to the beginning of July McDonald & # 39; s Salads ate before they became ill, "said Patricia Quinlisk, medical director of the Ministry of Health, in a statement. "Anyone who has eaten these salads since mid-June and has developed diarrhea, especially watery diarrhea and fatigue, should consult their doctor and get tested on Cyclospora to ensure accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment."
Recently, a cord of foodborne diseases have been reported in the United States. Salmonella outbreaks have been associated with raw turkey, pasta salad, Kellogg's Honey Smacks cereal, and pre-cut melon. It was found that romaine lettuce was contaminated with E. coli. Venezuelan fresh crabmeat was considered a risk after Vibrio parahaemolyticus had attacked a dozen people in three states and Washington, DC
Bill Marler, a food safety lawyer, said the reason for the outbreaks often it seems to be a combination of better detection and an increase in cases themselves.
"It seems that more happens in the nutritional system than just better surveillance," he told the Washington Post Cyclosporiasis, the CDC said Symptoms may include:
- Watery diarrhea
- Nausea and loss of appetite
- Flatulence, bloating and stomach cramps
In some cases, people may also experience fever and vomiting, it said. 19659021] According to the CDC, people often recover without medical intervention, but antibiotics are also used to treat the disease.
The patches that moved on her face turned out to be a parasite worm
She thought the strange feeling was a stray eyelash. They were eye worms.
Almost every day he ate raw fish – until a five-foot tapeworm slipped out of his body