Dicks Sporting Goods announced on Monday that it would destroy all unsold firearms that it had pulled out of the store shelves in February after the deadly Parkland School Shooting.
The sports retailer decided to destroy the assault rifles instead of returning them to the manufacturer, the Pittsburgh Post Gazette reported. On February 28, 2018, the Pittsburgh-based company announced that it would immediately stop selling assault rifles and ban the sale of all guns to anyone under the age of 21. It was not immediately clear how many firearms were destroyed.
We are in the process of destroying all firearms and accessories that are no longer available for sale due to our political change on February 28, "a spokesman for Dicks Sporting Goods told the media corporation," We are destroying the firearms in line with the Federal regulations and regulations. "
HAND-CATCHED PRISONERS LOST IN CREDIT
The rifles are demolished in the distribution centers and then delivered to a salvage company for recycling.
The changes came after the Valentine's Day shoot at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. The accused gunman Nikolas Cruz shot 17 students and teachers with an AR-15. Cruz legally bought the firearm.
"Thoughts and prayers are not enough," the company said in a statement. "We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the overwhelming majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens, but we must help resolve the problem ahead."
PROTESTER FAIRY TO DIFFERENT STARBUCKS CAFES IN PHILADELPHIA AFTER CONTRAVERSELLEN ARRESTEN
After the massacre, shooting survivors called on Congress to become stricter gun laws. After the 2012 massacre at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, the company previously pulled off sports rifles from the shelves.
The sports shop faces two lawsuits due to the age restriction on the purchase of firearms.