So you put together a nice new Nintendo Switch at Christmas and do not know how to set it up? You are in the right place!
In this guide, we will put together all the things you should do first to help you set up. This includes creating a number of new accounts, adjusting settings, and collecting the best accessories.
Creating a User Profile
You should be prompted to do so the first time you turn on the switch, but we'll do the following:
- Choose an icon that can be a Mii or a popular Nintendo character his. Do not panic, you can change all that later if you want.
- Select the background color.
- Enter your nickname ̵
- Log in to your Nintendo account to associate it with the switch, or follow the instructions below if you do not already have one.
Set up (and link to) your Nintendo account
First we create a Nintendo account that will be set up Then get some nice digital games on your new switch and get some great rewards !
You can do this on the switch itself, and we've followed the instructions below:
- Start the eShop by clicking on it & # 39; A & # 39; on the orange pocket icon in the main menu of your switch.
- Select the & # 39; user profile & # 39; from which you want to attach your Nintendo account.
- Click & # 39; Create Account & # 39 ;.
- Click "Send Instructions for Account Creation by Email".
- Enter your email address.
- Now, open the email you receive on your lap should have top / phone / tablet.
- Follow the link in the email and click on "An account for me" (unless you're just creating an account for a child.)
- Enter Enter your personal information and click "Submit".
- You should receive a five-digit code to fill in at your switch, and if you followed the instructions correctly until step 4, your switch should be after the Enter your code, fill it in and click "OK."
- Choose how many times to enter your password and get started! You can now purchase games on the Nintendo Switch eShop.
Bought the Switch for a child? Then set up parental control
If you have a Nintendo If you bought Switch for a small child, you can set up parental controls to protect them from adult content or just play too much.
There are two different options: You can set certain restrictions on the console itself or control your switch directly from your smart device. In this way, you can set time limits and restrict features, and receive activity notifications that help you keep track of the schedule. To configure the settings in steps:
- Select "System Preferences" on the Home screen.
- Scroll down to Parental Control.
- Select whether to use "Use your smart device" or "Use this console".
- Select the restriction level. You can either choose an already defined setting, eg. Teens, teenagers or children, or make a completely custom setting.
- For the latter, you can restrict the software by age and your child's ability to post social media accounts and their ability to communicate with others on social networks.
- If you'd prefer to use the app, download it from the App Store or Google Play (this is referred to as & # 39; Nintendo Switch Parental Controls & # 39; search for it).
- Start it and sign in to your Nintendo account.
- You will receive a registration code that you will need to fill out on your switch. Repeat steps 1 to 3 and enter it when prompted.
- Now you can set parental control using the app. You can set a daily game limit, use predefined settings or custom restrictions settings, and monitor their activity using the app.
Get some games!
If you get a switch at Christmas, chances are you have one or two games with it – either in the box or for the sheer friendliness of another. If the game is physical, you can place it directly in the system via a convenient flip-flop in the upper-right corner of the system. If not, go to the eShop and load the code there to download it.
Here is the process in steps:
- Select the & # 39; Nintendo eShop & # 39; from the home menu (it looks like an orange shopping bag) Start the eShop.
- Select the account to which you want to bind the game.
- Click Redeem Code at the bottom left of the screen.
- Enter the code of the game, which should consist of 16 characters.  Click & # 39; Confirm & # 39; (To confirm).
- That was & # 39; s! Your game has been redeemed and you should be able to download it immediately.
Even if your game is physical, you may need to download additional content. This could be due to an update that adds new content to the game or fixes bugs and the like, or it may be that the game does not fit on the cartridge. This is the case for certain high-profile games such as DOOM NBA 2K19 and L.A. Noire .
If you do not have any games for your brand new switch yet, we'll buy some in the eShop, right? Here are the steps:
- Start the eShop and select a user profile to which a Nintendo account is linked. If you do not already have a Nintendo account, follow the steps in the "Setting up (and linking) your Nintendo account" section above to set one up.
- Find a game you like and select it by pressing & # 39; ON & # 39 ;.
- You can find games in different ways by looking at the various sections of the e-shop. Recent Releases is a chronological list of recently released games. With "Discover" you will find the best games the eShop has to offer. "Current Offers" is a list of all games offered and "charts" the current bestselling games. You can also search for a specific game by using the Search function on the top left.
- On the game page, click "Continue to Buy" and choose your preferred method. You can redeem a "Nintendo eShop Card", use your credit card or pay via PayPal.
- Now choose how much money you want to invest in your eShop account. You can only add the required amount, or a little more, if you want to buy a few things.
- Just confirm the next prompts to complete the purchase.
You can only buy games that match the corresponding e-shop. However, you can set up dummy accounts and play games from North America and Japan. Follow this guide to find out how.
If you do not have enough money, there are actually a few solid free games that you can play on Switch. Start with these:
Get Nintendo Switch Online so you can play Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and more online
Nintendo Switch Online is the online service for Nintendo Switch that lets you play premium multiplayer games play online (If a game is free, you do not need Nintendo Switch Online), access exclusive offers and get & # 39; free & # 39; NES games.
Setting up Nintendo Switch Online is surprisingly easy. Just go to the eShop and scroll down to the left to "Nintendo Switch Online". Here you can either start the free seven-day trial or set up a membership plan.
You can set up single membership for a single user or family membership if you have two or more Nintendo Switch owners in your household – the latter allows you to get a Switch Online account for very little cash. You can pay monthly, quarterly, or annually for a single membership or annually for a family membership.
For more information, see Nintendo Switch Online Frequently Asked Questions. For step-by-step instructions on how to set up a Nintendo Switch Online Family Membership, see our guide.
Increase Your Storage Space with a Micro SD Card
If there's an area where the switch is getting incredibly scarce from the edge it's in its storage space. The 32 GB that comes with it by default is very inadequate and will be filled up with some updates, games, and DLC before Christmas.
So do the right thing and grab a Micro SD card. These are available in different sizes up to 512 GB. While this is quite expensive, fortunately there are some very cheap options around the 200GB mark that will be good enough for the bigger cards to fall.
Take a look at our Guide to the Best Micro SD Cards Here.
The Nintendo Switch is such a nifty little device that can handle three different game modes and play anytime, anywhere, whenever you want. As such, it is absolutely adaptable.
Whether you want to use a more convenient controller while sitting on the sofa, a nice case to keep it scratch-free in your pocket, or a clever micro SD card to increase your storage space. You'll find the best recommendations in our extensive accessories manual.