قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Doctors Explain How They Saved 12-Year-Old After Flesh-Eating Bacterial Infection Nearly Killed Her

Doctors Explain How They Saved 12-Year-Old After Flesh-Eating Bacterial Infection Nearly Killed Her



INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. – Kylei Parker What a healthy, active 12-year-old girl, but all of you took a trip to the beach for her life to be in jeopardy.

"This disease is very overwhelming and very likely to develop into any patient population," they said. Kamal Abulebda, a Pediatric Intensivist at Riley Children's Hospital.

Kylei had a cut on her toe from a skateboarding accident before her trip to Destin, Florida. After being dumped in the ocean, she felt pressure in her leg.

By the time she got back to Indiana, her leg was swollen and her body was septic shock. According to doctors, this is a deadly combination with a grim outlook.

"In the pediatric population, when you come in with septic shock, you have low blood pressure, and you have necrotizing fasciitis … her mortality risk is way, way higher." Dr. Abulebda told WXIN.

Kylei had a rare infection called necrotizing fasciitis. One in three people who get the infection wants the from it.

"A lot of the infections, we can treat it in the ICU with just antibiotics and supportive care, but there are some infections like this" it does not give you much time to think, "said. Dr. Abulebda.

Through emergency surgery, doctors were Kylei's Leg.

"I think she's very lucky, actually." Abulebda said. Because they are already dead, and there's nothing you can save. "

Dr , Abulebda does not see this infection often .. In some cases, he's seen patients who from it. He says Kylei and her mother make the right choice by visiting the doctor when they did.

"If this had gone unrecognized overnight or for another day or two, there's probably a high chance we would not be able to save her extremities or another negative outcome would have happened, "Dr. Abulebda said.

Kylei is starting to walk.

For now, Kylei and her mother are hoping to spread the message. " If it was not for the quick responses and aggressive treatments, "Kylei's mother Michelle Brown said while holding back tears. "I was a person who had no idea of ​​this, and I had to learn very quickly."

This infection is rare, but it can happen to anyone. It usually enters the body through an open cut or wound. In Kylei's case, she had scraped her toe.

The CDC has more information on necrotizing fasciitis.

39.768403
-86.1

58068


Source link