قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Dog in Texas dies of poisonous algae in the river

Dog in Texas dies of poisonous algae in the river



A Texas woman warns other pet owners of the unexpected death of their beloved dog from water that may contain poisonous algae.

Tamin Massey from Austin told Fox 7 that she had taken her Australian Shepherd, Fina, on the Guadalupe River on July 31st. The dog – who "loved the water," she said – began to behave strangely not long after the end of her swim.

Fina began vomiting according to Massey. stiff-legged "and" out of whack. "She also claims that the 3-year-old dog had" two seizures in less than 5 minutes "after he emerged from the river, she told the news channel.

WARNING THE TOXIC ALGE THAT CAN KILL YOUR DOG

Despite all Massey's efforts ̵

1; she quickly took the dog to the hospital – it was too late.

"Took her to the vet – that took about 15 minutes Five minutes later, she could not do anything for her anymore, her diaphragm had lodged and he said that was one of the symptoms, a muscle paralysis. "It was hard – it was really, very, very heavy, and I blame myself "She told Fox 7." I was told not to do it, but I just want people not to go through that. "

Massey claims that the water is so clear that it is" right up to See through reason ". In the Fl Only a few steps from their garden, uss were green algae.

Experts say the algae can form in different waters.

"Cyanobacteria (also called blue-green algae) are microscopic bacteria found in freshwater lakes, streams, ponds, and brackish ecosystems," explains the Pet Poison Helpline on their website. "They can produce toxins (such as microcystins and anatoxins) that affect humans, farm animals, and pets swimming in and drinking from algae-contaminated water."

It is not possible to determine the presence of toxins without testing, "adds the hotline. "Therefore, all flowers should be considered potentially toxic. Very small exposures, such as a few gulps of algae-contaminated water, can cause fatal poisoning.

Especially dogs are at risk of algae toxin poisoning according to Greenwater Laboratories, which investigates harmful algal blooms.

"The most susceptible people to algae toxin poisoning are those who ingest cyanobacteria when they are in the water," reads the website. "Often these individuals are dogs as they enter and leave algae blooms on the coasts. It is a good idea to keep pets out of the water when cyanobacteria can be present.

Symptoms that you should be aware of after swimming your dog include vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, and over-salivation.

In a Facebook post shared almost 300 times, Massey warned other pet owners of the dangers of blue-green algae.

"The water was not infested with the algae" and it did not look quiet … [or] she would not have let in, "she wrote.

Massey said Fina probably ate some algae.

"She loved biting leaves and floating things in the water [in]. But even if she just put on some fur and then took care of herself, the result would probably have been the same, "she wrote.

"If you notice algae on the water, just stay away! You can NOT tell if it's in the "Blooming" phase. Better in safety than in embarrassment, "she concluded.

"It was hard – it was really very, very heavy and I blame myself."

– Tamra Massey

Fina is not the first dog to die of poisonous algae in the state. According to Fox 7, the dog was the fourth to die in the Austin region after swimming in contaminated water.

In fact, the city has warned pet owners not to allow their animals to swim in Lady Bird Lake due to algae.

TOXIC ALGAE KILL 3 DOGS OF HOURS AFTER PLAYING IN NORTH CAROLINA POND, SAYS THE OWNER.

The city tweeted on August 7th.

Also in North Carolina, three dogs died earlier this month after swimming in a Wilmington pond exposed to toxic algae. Their owner posted on Facebook that after swimming, the dogs suffered a "blue-green poisoning" and the algae killed the pets in a matter of hours] James Rogers of Fox News contributed to this report.


Source link