NEW YORK (AP) – The Metropolitan Opera announced Tuesday that Placido Domingo had agreed to withdraw from its list of planned performances at the Opera House after allegations of sexual harassment by several women in two Associated Press reports were. The opera legend said that he would never perform again at the Met.
Domingo was to sing the title role in the season premiere of Verdi's "Macbeth" on Wednesday evening, which would have been his first appearance in the US since the AP reported that numerous women accused him of inappropriate behavior, including a soprano who stated that he had packed her bare chest manager Peter Yellow repeated after a dress rehearsal on Saturday that the opera house is on the results of investigations by the LA Opera, where Domingo has been director-general since 2003, and the American Guild of Musical Artists, the Union representing various opera employees is waiting.
"I debuted at the Metropolitan Opera at the age of 27 and sang for 51 consecutive years in this great theater," said the star. "Although I vehemently deny the recent allegations that have been made of me and worry that people will be sentenced to reason without proper procedures, I believe that my appearance in this production is of, Macbeth & # 39; s hard Distracting work would put colleagues on the stage as well as behind the scenes.
"As a result, I asked to retire," he added, "and I thank the Met management for graciously completing my request. I am glad that at the age of 78 I am the wonderful title role in the dress rehearsal of & # 39; Macbeth & # 39; sing, which I consider as my last appearance on the Met stage. "
The long-married Spanish-born superstar" agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met with immediate effect. "
Yellow sent an e-mail to Met employees saying, "We are grateful to him for recognizing this." have to resign.
The Philadelphia Orchestra, the San Francisco Opera and the Dallas Opera canceled previous concerts with Domingo after the AP stories were released. However, his reception was very different in Europe, where he received long ovations after Verdi's "Luisa Miller" concert performances at the Salzburg Festival on 25 and 31 August, just weeks after the first AP story.
Domingo's prosecutor, Patricia Wulf, called Domingo's retreat from the Met "such a relief."
"I think we've achieved something," said Wulf, who accused Domingo of repeatedly harassing her during performances at the Washington Opera in the late 1990s. while he was general manager of the company.
"The Met finally came forward and did the right thing," she told the AP.
In addition to announcing Domingo's withdrawal, Yellow said the Met had suspended tenor Vittorio Grigolo in anticipation. The result of an investigation opened Tuesday by the Royal Opera in London said he was involved in an incident on 18 September had been involved in singing the title role in Gounod's "Faust" on a touring tour in Tokyo.  002] The 42-year-old Grigolo was to sing six performances of Alfredo in Verdi's "La Traviata" at the Met in February and March. He did not immediately respond to an e-mail requesting a comment.
Met Levy's conductor James Levine found evidence of sexual abuse and harassment in March 2018 following an investigation by a law firm commissioned by the firm. Levine, music director of the company from 1976 to 2016, was the emeritus music director at the time and rejected the allegations. He filed an infringement and defamation lawsuit, which was settled last month.
Domingo made his Met debut in September 1968 and is known to many beyond the Opera for his performances as part of the Three Tenors with Luciano Pavarotti and José Carreras. He sang well beyond the retirement age of most singers and moved to baritone voices in 2009 to expand his repertoire to more than 150 roles.
Domingo's next planned appearance is in Verdi's "Nabucco" at the Zurich Opera on October 13, will not sing in the US until Donizetti's "Roberto Devereux" opens at LA Opera on February 22.
Zeljko Lucic will replace him for the three performances of "Macbeth" by Met. Domingo was also scheduled for four appearances as Sharpless in Puccini's "Madama Butterfly" at the Met in November.
Prior to the withdrawal of Domingo, the New York State Senator, whose district included the Opera House, had demanded his resignation.
"I believe they have an obligation to keep the performance of their artists at a high level as they are one of the most important cultural institutions in the world," said Democrat Brad Hoylman. "You should not only think about his celebrity and star power, but also about the 20 women who allegedly filed complaints. The Met is committed to ensuring the safety and well-being of its employees, and I am concerned that this matter may prevent future employees from taking action.
Associate Press Writers Jocelyn Gecker and Jocelyn Noveck have contributed to this report.