Dr. Mehmet Oz joined "Fox & Friends" Tuesday to explain his point of view on the shocking death of a woman in Australia whose high protein diet is said to have caused an undiagnosed condition.
Meegan Hefford, 25, developed a passion for fitness after the birth of her first child, but it became an unhealthy obsession after her second child, her mother explained. Hefford then participated in bodybuilding competitions where she had to follow a strict diet with protein before she died two years ago.
Dr. Oz said that this scenario is not new to him and that one out of every 10,000 people is unable to properly digest protein. This condition is due to a complication of the urea cycle that can be caused by an excessive amount of protein, he explained.
"We believe that perhaps every fifth child [cases] suffers from the sudden infant death syndrome that actually had small babies that problem and that's why they get sick, they do not know because they're too young," he explained ,
Dr. Oz added that this can get worse with age as protein intake increases significantly.
"In the past, this was not a problem because you did not have that much protein in your diet, but with the fads and diets out there and the desire to lose weight, they overdo it. And this protein powder, in this case the young woman has apparently taken over, can overwhelm the cycle, "he said.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Oz explains that the body produces ammonia when it is unable to properly digest protein, which can lead to lethargy and affect the state of mind.
"Often you become so drowsy that you just faint, what with it happened to her, and they did not come to her in time, "he said, warning dieticians not to overdo it with protein.
"If you want protein powder for breakfast 1
The woman's mother, Michelle White, said she has decided to raise awareness of high-protein dietary supplements in Australia and promote regulation.
Fox News & # 39; s Alexandria Hein has come to this History contributed.