John Locher / AP
The shooter charged with the massacre of 22 people killed on a Saturday in El Paso Walmart was sitting in his car – almost a mile from the terrible scene – when, according to an affidavit The Texas Rangers surrendered.
Agents and policemen at the intersection then watched as a male person – the defendant – got out of the vehicle with his hands raised and said the agent aloud, "I am the Sagittarius" documents states.
It appears that the alleged gunman escaped the El Paso police who arrived at the store about six minutes after receiving calls for a disruption at the popular mall, which then became calls for an active shooter.
Sgt. Enrique Carrillo told 21-year-old NPR American Patrick Wood Crusius he was in the left lane of a cross when Ranger pulled up behind him. "He had driven to this intersection, but when the policeman saw him, he had already got out of the car," Carrillo said.
The suspect was arrested and taken to the police headquarters of El Paso. There, the police said he had renounced his Miranda rights and agreed to "talk about the incident".
During the interrogation, police confessed that the alleged gunman had planned the killing spree and drove nearly 10 hours from Allen, Texas, to the border town to attack "Mexicans."
The authorities believe that Crusius was the author of a 2,300-word anti-immigrant screed published on the 8chan online bulletin just 19 minutes before the mass shootings. The four-page document spoke of a "Hispanic invasion of Texas."
"The defendant once said in the store that he had opened fire with his AK-47 and shot several innocent victims," the affidavit says, adding that he has "several magazines" with him.
The 22 victims were between 15 and 90 years old. Thirteen are listed as US citizens, eight are Mexican nationals. One is german.
Crusius has been in police custody since his arrest, but has not been charged. A spokeswoman for the El Paso district attorney Claudia Duran said it will not happen until the El Paso and FBI police investigation is completed.
The prosecution in El Paso announced on Sunday to impose the death penalty on the alleged shooter.
Mark Stevens, the lawyer of the accused gunman, declined to comment on this story.