The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning to parents, caregivers, and health care providers about the dangers of jewelery on Thursday after a baby was strangled to death by his baby chain during a nap.
Teeth jewelry is typically used to relieve toothache in infants and is sometimes used as a sensory stimulant for people with autism, for people with special needs, and for people with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder.
According to the agency, children's jewelry has become increasingly popular, although the parts in children can pose a serious risk of injury or death. The dangers listed by the FDA include choking, mouth injuries, strangulation and infections.
READ THE full warning here
"Consumers should consider following the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics to find alternative methods of treating toothache, such as rubbing inflamed gums with a clean finger or using a teething ring solid rubber, "said FDA Commissioner Dr. ,
In addition to teething jewelry, the FDA advises against "teat creams, benzocaine gels, sprays, ointments, solutions and lozenges for mouth and gum pain".