Laboratory results for the dolphin, who died in Dolphinaris Arizona in May, were published.
Alia, the female bottlenose, had an "acute bacterial infection" that "spreads rapidly through her body," the facility said on Friday with lab results from the University of Illinois.
"Despite exhaustive efforts of staff and veterinarians, Alia Sepsis succumbed to an infection in the bloodstream," Dolphinaris Arizona said in a news release.
The release said the lab ruled out "valley fever or any other type of fungal infection associated with the desert environment." They said the infection was an "isolated case" and not contagious to other dolphins or humans. "
" Alias Tod has deeply saddened her coaches and all of us in Dolphinaris, "said Christian Schaeffer de Leon, General Manager at Dolphinaris Arizona, in a written statement," Your time with us has been our commitment to the Enlightenment and Greater public inspiration for the care and protection of marine mammals in the wild. Our guests tell us that meeting nearby dolphins creates lasting connections and motivates them to become better stewards of the sea.
Bodie, a male Bottlenose Dolphin, who died of a rare muscle disease in September of 2017, reported the facility in a document that was reported to the USDA that Body's death was reported as a "fungal infection."
Dolpinaris Arizona was reported to Odysea in the Desert Complex in October 2016 near Loop 101 and Via de Ventura, part of the Sime River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community.
At Dolphinaris, people spend different interactive experiences with the dolphins both in the water and out of the water and currently have six dolphins in the facility.