قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / US / Finnish journalist speaks out after the Trump administration lifted the "Courage" award

Finnish journalist speaks out after the Trump administration lifted the "Courage" award



Aro called the recognition "precious … because my work has cost me so much, too."

She has suffered harassment and cyberattacks since she started reporting Russian propaganda activities in 2014. Officials from the US Embassy in Helsinki asked her last October when she would accept a nomination for the award.

She thought it was a completed deal in January.

"But then it was taken away," she said Sunday "Reliable Sources" on CNN. [19659005IntheweeksbeforetheceremoniesinMarchWashingtonwasputonholdbythePrize

The Foreign Policy magazine, which broke the story of Aro, cited sources claiming that it had become nil because it had repeatedly criticized President Donald Trump on Twitter.

The jolting of their price "really goes against the whole idea of ​​this award," said Aro. One in the Trump administration, she said, lacked courage.

Aro said she was grateful for the history of foreign affairs because she was in the dark about what had happened.

But she was "horrified" by her comment about Trump being an obvious factor. She went through her past tweets ̵

1; like a February 17 response to the president when he "manipulated" the media, called it "corrupt," and called it an "enemy of the people." She answered him that day and said, "The Kremlin does not need troll factories, as long as YOU are in charge!"

"I still stand by what I said and what I tweeted," she said. "I think President Trump's attacks on the media are a shame and must also be discussed on Twitter."

Speaking to an American audience, Aro said, "I'm really sorry if that's really the case. This is the situation when Trump or his government became infected with fear and self-censorship."

After the story When foreign policy emerged, the Democrats in the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee received a series of e-mails between Aro and the State Department asking the Inspector General of the Agency to investigate the circumstances.

  New documents raise questions about the state's retreat against Trump criticism " class = "media__image" src = "http://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/190328114511-pompeo-iwc-awards-large-169.jpg" />

A State Department spokesman originally claimed Aro was "misinformed" that "she had been selected as a finalist." This was a mistake. "This was a mistake."

But internal emails cast doubt on this version of events. The emails showed months of correspondence about the award and their expected trip to Washington. Things changed when a embassy official asked them to send out a list of their "social media handles".

Aro said the State Department's original allegations were "factually wrong." And so she is grateful that the senators are dealing with the matter.

"I really want to know: who really gave the order to cancel my award and what would he or she like to tell you about their motivation?"

"It does not really seem that this process of Abandoning my prize has followed the best practices and transparency policies of the State Department's government, "added Aro.

The Office of the Inspector General of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has done this The possibility of a probe has not been commented on.

For the reason that she should be recognized at all, Aro is now working on a book about so-called Russian troll farms. She said she would train people to better recognize the trolling and propaganda war effort.

Aro said the Westerners still do not understand "how cynical and massive" the Russian effort really is.

also the impact of these propaganda operations of the Kremlin, "she said." Viral disinformation is used to manipulate and move real people, real people, to hateful acts. "


Source link