DENVER – The first case of sudden, severe lung disease related to vaping was confirmed in Colorado, government officials said Thursday.
According to the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, the case was first reported on Tuesday.
A second case was reported in Colorado on Thursday, but has not yet been confirmed.
CDPHE did not specify where the cases are or how old the patients are.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there are 153 possible cases of the disease in 16 states. However, there is currently no name for the disease.
Many of those affected were hospitalized.
"CDPHE said in a press release.
Dr Tista Ghosh, chief physician at CDPHE, said people, the vapors, and the doctors who treat them should be on high alert.
" Da The department vendors and hospitals actively informed about the symptoms, we assume that we may be more informed about cases, "Gosh said about the press release.
Colorado has one of the highest rates of teen vaping in the nation.
CDPHE says that people taking vape should be aware of the following symptoms:
- shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- chest pain
- Possible fever
"People who have had or have had lung disease in the last three months should contact their doctor or the local health department," said CDPHE.
The agency added that vapor products are not harmless.  "The causative agents of this disease may be pesticide contaminants, residual solvents, additives with unknown inhalative effects or heavyweight contamination by inhaled vapors," it states.
CDPHE advised health care providers to screen all adolescents, parents and caregivers for use and exposure to vapors. It was also said that children and adolescents should be educated about the negative health effects of steaming.
Those looking for resources to quit can visit the Colorado Quit Line.