قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / FL woman dies of carnivorous bacteria on Anna Maria Island

FL woman dies of carnivorous bacteria on Anna Maria Island



"Do not go into the water" warns the daughter of the victim of Vibrio.

Waveland, Ronald Winnert, who lives in Mississippi, lost his leg due to Vibrio, a carnivorous bacterium that he came into contact with while fishing. People can be infected by eating raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater.

Waveland, Mississippi-born Ronald Winnert lost his leg to Vibrio, a carnivorous bacterium he came into contact with while fishing. People can be infected by eating raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater.

Cases of carnivorous bacteria – or necrotizing fasciitis – are considered rare, but cases are on the increase and the latest victim is Lynn Fleming, who lives in Ellenton.

Fleming's son Wade Fleming shared this with the Bradenton Herald Saturday, his wife and mother went to Coquina Beach on Anna Maria Island two weeks ago.

"She said she would go for a walk, which is pretty typical of her," said Wade Fleming. "She went to the point where the concrete (ledge) sticks out in the water and she could not handle the first one, so she went to the second one, I guess the waves got a bit washed out under that spot and she's in one The result of the fall resulted in a small incision that was only about two centimeters long, it almost immediately had small bumps around the wound and "it took only two weeks from then on It was gone, "said Wade Fleming.

Eventually, she was hospitalized and diagnosed with the carnivorous bacteria, so Fox 13 died after suffering two strokes and organ failure during surgeries to rescue her leg.

Fleming's death comes on the heels of an Indiana family claiming that their 12-year-old daughter contracted a carnivorous bacterium from Destin on the Florida Panhandle while vacationing in the beach town in the first week of June.

Health officials responded to this case that there are no reports of water quality problems in the region, but no bacteria need to be present

While the Center for Disease Control considers cases of carnivorous bacteria to be rare, the United States annually reports 500 and 1,500 cases reported In Mexico, the CDC reports that cases spread across the Atlantic coast to Delaware and New Jersey.

Five cases affected the Delaware area between 2017 and 18, either directly on site or by patients eating infected crabs. Consuming contaminated shellfish or infiltrating the water that contains the open wound bacteria are the two main causes of contraction immunocompromised patients are at greatest risk of contracting the bacteria.

"Good hygiene is critical to the prevention and proper care of all wounds – including coverage with dry, clean bandages," says the CDC reports. "People with open wounds and active infections should avoid waters, especially swimming pools and whirlpools."

If you notice anything unusual after swimming, especially near a skin incision, you should go to the hospital immediately. Health officials say the sooner someone seeks treatment, the better the chance of limiting the damage caused by the bacteria and possibly saving lives and limbs that the disease has had for many centuries before it was first discovered in the 19th century, " it says on the website.

"I want people to be educated," said Wade Fleming. "I do not tell anybody not to go to the beach, we love the beach, but I'd like to see information from paramedics and lifeguards who encourage immediate treatment for a little nick when they swim, and let people know that this is a possibility. "

Fleming said that if it saves a life, it's worth it.

" If we can prevent a person from doing so only by educating people, we can hopefully prevent that from happening It happens to another person, "he said.


Source link