A Florida fisherman recovers after catching a "meat-eating" bacterium during a fishing trip on Saturday.
Ozona's Mike Walton fished with friends off the coast of Palm Harbor in the Gulf of Mexico when a hook struck and swelled in his hand. He was treated with antibiotics, but soon noticed that his skin was blistering and turning black.
"I had small bubbles that formed on my hand and you could see beads of sweat appearing on the hand side, and then it just turned black," he told WFTS.
MAN WITH BOTTLED BACTERIA INFICED IN CRABBING AMPUTED BAG
On Easter Sunday, Walton was admitted to the Tampa General Hospital, where doctors diagnosed him fasciitis, often referred to as "carnivorous" bacteria.
"This is a very rare bacterium that only [affected] has 30 people in a state of Florida," wrote his friend at Ozona Fish Camp on a GoFundMe site geared for Walton.
The doctors warned Walton that he could lose his entire arm, according to WFTS and his friends at Fish Camp, but decided to open his forearm and surgically remove much of the infected tissue.
"They cut my whole arm down to relieve the pressure, and then I got a skin graft from my elbow to my palm," he said to the outlet.
"They said it would slip my arm into my chest in a few hours and I would not have been here. There was no salvation for me," he added to Fox 1
Walton's friends announced on Facebook that he was released from hospital on Wednesday, but said he "still has a long way to go."
He will remain antibiotics for about a month, according to the Associated Press.
His friends at the Ozona Fish Camp have since set up a GoFundMe site to raise money for Walton's medical expenses. "
" Mike is a family-owned, daughter-only, elderly mother and father and disabled sister who works hard physically as a bricklayer, and during the He will not be able to work recovery time. "
CLICK HERE TO RECEIVE THE FOX NEWS APP
The Ozona Fish The camp also holds a fishing competition on June 8th and provides part of the proceeds to Walton, reports WFTS.