قالب وردپرس درنا توس
Home / Health / Florida man dies after eating oysters tainted with "meat-eating" bacteria

Florida man dies after eating oysters tainted with "meat-eating" bacteria



A 71-year-old The old man died after eating "carnivorous" bacteria on an oyster, Florida health officials said on Wednesday.

The resident of Florida consumed the Vibrio vulnificus tainted oyster in a restaurant on June 8, two days before his death from gastrointestinal disease, said the Florida Department of Health local media.

Authorities did not publish the name of the restaurant or the victim.

Vibrio vulnificus is a naturally occurring bacterium that occurs in warm, salty seawater. People can contract the bacteria, often referred to as "carnivorous," because of the visible skin lesions they sometimes lead to, by eating raw shellfish or exposing open wounds to water.

According to the Florida Department of Health, Vibrio vulnificus is often misnamed as a meatless bacteria, "although it's important to note" that it does not actually consume its meat.

Infections are rare, although they are more common in people with weakened immune systems.

Three people died and 16 were infected in Florida this year by Vibrio vulnificus. In 2017, 11 people died after joining forces.

Click through the slideshow above to learn more about Vibrio vulnificus.

Michelle Robertson is an SFGATE employee. Send her an e-mail to mrobertson@sfchroniche.com or search her on Twitter at @mrobertsonsf.


[ad_2]
Source link